Out of the frying pan and into the fire

"Come on!" Keep moving!" Ace's cry echoed in my ears as I fireman carried Cooper across the tarmac. As I passed pieces of rubble and scorching metals, I couldn't shake the feeling that we weren't going to make it. But we had to try... 50 meters ahead, Ace found an exit. We were gonna make it after all! I picked up the pace as I pass a destroyed humvee and climbed over barriers; bobbing and weaving through barrages of bullets. Just about 100 m out, I can almost feel a sense of relief. I could feel the warm hearty grin materialize across my face as I got eyes on the door. My feet pounded the ground as I ran with Cooper over my shoulders. Left. Right. Left... "SMACK!" A crack of a rifle echoed across the tarmac. The ringing from my ears disoriented me as I lean forward, with Cooper rolling 6 inches away from me, flying off my shoulders. "Rata-tata, rata-tata." I lift my head up and watched bursts of rounds flew from Ace's M249; Screaming and cursing at the enemy as he yelled for me to get up. I jumped to my knees and griped Coopers arm. "Come on! We gotta go." I cried out. I lifted him up trying to figure out why he was more limp than usual. I was stunned. I couldn't hold back as I watched chunks of brains and blood pour out like a geyser. He was gone...and we were next. I got to my feet and pulled Ace by his collar and bolted; stumbling on our feet as sweat poured on our faces we ran with all our might. Tears were running down my face. I failed them...I failed them all. Cooper, Hansen...I'm sorry I couldn't pull you out of this hell. We couldn't to sprint through the airport; passing closed stores, food court, baggage claim. We hid inside of bathroom to stop & catch our breath for the first time and only thing was said were heavy breathing and soft grunts. With my head with my head down, I spoke. "He's gone. They're both fucking gone." Stumbling with my words all I could hear clearly from myself was that Cooper and Hansen were gone. I could feel Ace place his hand on my shoulder. "There's nothing we could have done bro. This is what we signed up for. We just...gotta keep going." I listened to those and nodded in agreement. I watched as he got up and cautiously pied the corner with his machine gun. I followed suit and stayed on his hip and looked over his shoulder with my rifle. It was just us now and we knew we had to stay vigilant. Finally daybreak, the aftermath of this deadly onslaught was clear as day. Destruction in every direction as far as the eye can see;  flames and smoke consumed the sky as the scorching buildings crumbled to the ground with the screams of fallen soldiers echoed throughout the city. Aircrafts bombarded the city along with each other. I couldn't believe my eyes. "Winston! Over here." I turned to see Ace calling for me as he stood in front a half destroyed sign. I ran over to look at it with him. "La Guardia Airport?" We both said. We looked at the abandoned cars and debris. Not only we are separated from the rest of the company, but we were  nowhere near Fort Drum. I scanned the area as Ace took a minute to clean out the brass and links from his weapon. "So. Queens?" He said looking for my comfirmation. "Yeah." I acknowledged. " We are in Queens and we have to keep moving, Jones." He kept his head down; loading his rounds in and racked his bolt back.