The beginning

Normally nothing really changes. Tossing and turning in the middle of the night; laying on my back, then my side, and finally my front then it's back to my back again. I would say I've been having nightmares but I don't remember anything except for the sign of pure pitch black. I sometimes fluff up my pillow but then my alarm goes off. I can't help but to sing along to Maxwell's "Pretty Wings"; it calms me I suppose. I grab my phone and press the home button. "0530." I sighed followed by a yawn. I sat up in my bed and stretched for a moment; snapping and cracking my bones for a sense of looseness in my body. Stumbling in the bathroom with my eyes barely open, I reached over to the sink and turned the knob. With a shot of adrenaline hot water, pinched my face and recharged my well being. At this point everything else was muscle memory. Brush my teeth, apply deodorant, and slip into my PT shirt and pants. I clipped my orange reflector belt on with army slapped on my chest. From the second to the third floor, I marched to my platoon and stood in formation. Silence arose for a short period of time and in an instant...."Company, attention!" C co snaps to attention in one motion and awaits for the next command. Resuming his morning ritual, he's roars, "Present, Arms!" Like machines we let the cogs in our brains function and raise our hands to our eyebrows with the rest of our arms at a 90 degree angle we saluted the flag; being proud Americans and was ready for our morning routine of exercise. PT is always different. Running, ruck March with 45 lbs on our backs to upper or lower body workouts. Whatever the leadership feels about doing I guess. But comes 0730, now that's where the day gets complacent. Sitting down, be on our phones, take notes. Clean afterwards or just disappear for the day. But...today was...different. More busy than usual. I first noticed after PT. I got dressed and on my uniform. I was tucking in my pants legs in my garrison boots. Instant packing list right off the bat; passed out to everyone. I was confused. I walked to company and found myself in a smorgasborg. Layouts of equipment in front of our company building. Heavy weapons, Sensitive items... Normally the assumption would be change of command; Company commander would be doing inventory on the shit that's being layed out but....this feels different.