Middle of Turmoil

To my dearest love,

Granted I can survive without talking to someone on the phone, but that doesn't mean I don't miss you. Even as I've flown last night I found myself thinking of you. Music blasting in my ears, the sun showing its last light and my brothers sitting next to me. "I wonder what Hannah is doing?" I thought to myself. Even now I'm wondering... I sit in my tent waiting for this day to begin. Staring at the morning sky; grey lifeless clouds with the orange sun in the middle. I have the motivation to survive to get through this day...but hearing your sweet unforgettable voice will make it last longer. Only your pictures holds me together. Seeing the face of my queen will guide me to victory. I'll see you soon mi amor. I'll hear from you even sooner. I love you. Stay beautiful.

-Forever yours. Barry

I pulled out a marker and filled out the envelop. "SPC Winston, Barry." 2BCT 1st Infantry BLT  25th ID." If we ain't first we are last." CSM Baxter use to say. Heh...I'll never forget it. As I dug through my ruck to find a safe place to put the letter, I couldn't help but shed a single tear. I couldn't help it. The Russians were moving closer to our position. Within the hour enemy forces would be on top us and I can only think about not seeing you again. "Relax bro. you'll see her again." Ace pops out of his shaded corner. "Think of this? Us back in Hawaii drinking and chillin on the beach." I sat there and pondered on the thought then focused on my 30 round magazines. 150 rounds roughly. "Not enough"I thought. Then I stared at the window of the 20th floor of the office building; thinking how dark Manhattan was. For a split second I could feel a slight chill on the back of my neck. Something was coming. I continued to look out the window while hearing Ace's footsteps getting closer. Probably to pat me on my shoulder. I turned to look at him but then my heart dropped. For a spilt second my heart skipped a beat as I saw Ace dropped to the floor gasping for air; holding his chest. Sweat poured down my cheek as I peered at the corner of my eye. I saw a faint flash at 300 meters. They're here...