09 - Just a Glimpse

09 | Just a Glimpse

Ariá:

The auction went by fast and Leo's painting was not a part of the collection that was sold. Leo. I laugh at how easily I've adapted to calling him by his little nickname I made although I'm sure I'm not the first to call him that. I'll claim it anyway. I will admit though, that he was acting a little strange from the moment we entered the gallery.

I sat in my bedroom enjoying the cheesecake that was gifted to me. I could smell the vanilla and it instantly reminded me of the day at his mom's bakery. I smiled with every bite as I thought about how Leonardo held my hand today. It was a quick moment, fleeting even, but the feeling stuck with me. He led me to our seats, dodging people as we rushed to the front but all that was on my mind was how soft his hands felt.

I made sure to text Chloe to come over soon because everything that happened today needs to be said in person rather than over text. I guess that's one more thing I've come to learn about Leonardo. Other than his superb baking skills and talent when it comes to the arts. He prefers being face to face rather than over the phone although he's shy in both ways.

I made it a mental note to learn more about him the next time we see each other. I can just pass it off as knowing my "client" more since I am supposed to be helping him find his painting. The doorbell rang letting me know that it was probably Chloe that was here already which wasn't surprising since we live in the same neighbourhood. I went downstairs to open the door and let her in. As soon as I opened the door though, I slapped my hand over her mouth.

"Before you start your screaming, demanding me to tell you everything in detail, please know that Daniel is taking a nap and you know how he gets when you wake him." I said, warning her. It wouldn't be the first time anyone has woken Daniel from usual naps but Chloe seems to be the most frequent culprit. Daniel is a grumpy person overall in my opinion. Not in a bad way of course but when he's disrupted, his grumpiness just increases.

"It's not my fault your hot, angsty brother has a crappy sleep schedule."

"Did you just call my brother–"

"That's not the point! I walked all the way here to hear about Mr. Hot Painter and your day at the auction." She exclaimed, dragging me upstairs. She kept rambling on and on and I just hoped Daniel went into hibernation because Chloe's naturally loud.

"So basically, what you're telling me is that, he baked cheesecake for you as an apology and you're drooling over holding his hand and you still call yourselves acquaintances? Are you sick or something Riá?! Heck, you don't even say friends, you say acquaintances!"

"Chloe, quiet down! You might wake Daniel."

She stared back at me in complete shock. Eyes wide, eyebrows raised and mouth gaping. She looked as if her brain stuttered, like someone had pressed pause. It was completely quiet as we just stared at one another but that most definitely won't last for long. I'll give it three seconds. 3.. 2.. 1..

"That's all you care about right now?!" She practically screamed out. The way she basically shouted was louder than her 'inside voice' and I just hope to God that it didn't wake Daniel up or something.

"Be quiet!" And unfortunately, luck wasn't on my side as I heard Daniel mumble and grumble about being woken up and us interrupting his precious beauty sleep. Puh-lease. Chloe and I continued gossiping for a bit until my stomach grumbled and we decided to go downstairs for a little snack.

While Chloe was munching on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I was busy texting Leo. There wasn't anything new to lead us further in terms of finding his painting, especially since it's super important to him. We were still texting back and forth when Chloe announced that she would be going home to make actual food or something like that as if she wasn't devouring that sandwich like her life depended on it. Rude.

Anyways, Leonardo said he'd be coming over to have a talk with my brother which kind of confused me because the last time Leo was here, Daniel eyed him as if he ran over our cat, Nala. Daniel has an attachment to the cute ginger thing because it was a gift from dad when he turned sixteen so he pretty much adores the small creature even though he claims to prefer dogs. He's a bad liar.

I sent him Daniel's number since he's really coming here for him and I couldn't help but feel somewhat dejected but I brushed it off. The doorbell rang and Daniel was there in a millisecond. Did he jump down the stairs or something? That's the fastest I've seen him move—

"Hi Ariá." My head whipped around fast as I heard my name and I instantly smiled at Leo, completely forgetting about the thoughts that occupied my mind before. I waved as my way of saying hello before Daniel dragged him upstairs to who knows where. He disappeared like a fleeting memory with me only being able to catch a glimpse.

What I didn't miss was the soft smile sent my way.