14 - Misunderstandings

14 | Misunderstandings

Leonardo:

I've been working on my sketch of Arià for a while now and it's almost ready to be painted. After meeting with Mr. Woods, it's been a week or so since I've seen her or Daniel. No calls, no texts. Absolutely nothing.

I've been spending my time working on my portrait of Arià and helping out at mom's bakery, nothing special. There have been no leads to my painting at all and Diego hasn't done anything out of the ordinary since he decided to show up at my place.

It's currently five in the morning and I'm in the kitchen trying to think of something to make for breakfast. I woke up half an hour ago feeling a bit lazy so all I did was get up to brush my teeth and make my way in here when my stomach grumbled.

A simple egg sandwich would be enough to fill me until midday. 

As lazy as I felt, I still have an agenda to follow.

I finished eating the egg sandwich in less than five minutes and moved to start cleaning the kitchen. After that was finished, I took a shower and got dressed, ready to tackle the day. I wore gray sweatpants and a plain white t-shirt with sneakers.

I packed up my sketchpad and my miniature journal in my satchel, grabbed my car keys and went through the door. The plan is to stop by Ma's bakery first then check in with Mr. Woods. Finishing the sketch would probably be the last thing for me to do today if I gain the confidence to actually text Arià.

She makes me so nervous.

I began driving only to be caught up in traffic that would make my trip longer than necessary. Humming the melody of Taylor Swift's 'You Belong With Me' distracted me from the traffic I was in and in no time, I was at the bakery.

I walked in with the journal containing the recipes in my hand looking around for my mother.

"Mio figlio! You have the new additions for our menu?"

There she is.

"Of course, Ma."

After placing a big kiss on my cheek, she took the journal from my hand and began reading through the different things I had jotted down.

Cassatelle with Ricotta, Sfogliatella, Babà al Rum, Pistachio Castagnole and Baklava were some of many items I had not only written down, but tried baking myself.

Highly recommend Baklava by the way.

After skimming through the list, my mother had this large smile stretched across her face. Her eyes glimmered as if there were diamonds in them as she turned to me.

"Mio figlio è un genio. Genio assoluto. Questo è perfetto!"

I couldn't help but beam under the praise. Finally, something was going right for me.