Chapter 10: Steve

16th October 1986
Dear Diary,
Something has been on my mind for a while. Why does my brother not want me to date? Is he just being over protective or is there another reason?
I kissed Eddie today. It felt amazing...it felt like magic. People often call him a freak, largely because of how different he is but the things that make him different are the things I love the most about him. He might be a freak to some people. But not to me.

Steve walked in on me kissing Eddie, we told him we were just practicing as a means of studying. I think he bought it.

Any way we get our test results back tomorrow

Love Y/N xxx

Y/N POV  7:00am
After writing in my diary from yesterday since I forgot to do it last night, I went down stairs. Steve was downstairs watching TV. I sat beside him "hello Stevie" I say messing up his hair. He didn't like that "oh you little shit" he went upstairs to fix his hair.

The phone rang "I'll get it Steve"

Y: hello this is the Harrington house, Y/N speaking
C: Hi, is Steve there? It's Sherry we met the other day at home video.

I held the mic of the phone "STEVE THERES A GIRL ON THE PHONE FOR YOU!" Steve down stairs like he was the flash. "Hey Sherry, how you been"

-after the phone call-

"Steve how come you're allowed to date and I'm not? I'm 18 I'll be graduating this year"
Steve looked in my direction away from the TV "how do I put this, well you're a girl and you don't understand guys and how they are disgusting and only after one thing"
"But I'm the only one in my friendship group without a boyfriend." I say slumped into my chair
Steve pulls up a chair next to me "Y/N I love you. Your my sister and I don't wanna see you get hurt"
I look at him "I know you think you are protecting me, but really how will I ever understand the dangers fully if I don't experience these things Stevie" I say holding his hand "how about this I go on one date and I'll tell you how it went, I'll even get the dude to come here first so you can do your big scary big brother chat huh...just one date"

Steve considers "fine one date but I have to meet the guy first and if I don't like his vibe you're not going"
I hugged him and thanked him. "Thank you Stevie! Best brother ever. I'll get my school bag, meet me at the car"

Steve drove me to school and I felt so happy. I was walking to English until I felt arms grab me and drag me into an empty class room.