Epilogue

2 weeks later

Cassian climbed off of Philip and tied him to his post. It's only been 2 weeks since the ruby crisis and Morrigan was back to her old self again. As promised, the diablos were released and no charges were filed. However, after Devlon woke up from behind knock out by Cassian, Rhysand sent Balthazar to retrieve him and he was currently in a cell under the castle. Cassian can still hear him saying, "It wasn't me! It was those meddling kids!" he almost made him laugh.

The diablos had nowhere else to go. They were too afraid to go back and Cassian refused to take them into foster. So, he offered to let them stay on his farm and let them decided where they wanted to go.

Personally, Cassian wouldn't mind it if they wanted to stay forever. He was getting kinda lonely on the plain and he wished he lived a little closer to Velaris. But he had a farm to take care off. And it's not like he could move the barn. Oh well.

Cassian stretched his back, looking up at the stars that were twinkling in the night. "Still wish you were here mom. You would've loved it here." Cassian said. He didn't know which mother he was talking about, but he hoped that both of them were listening.

Cassian walked up to his door and turned the knob. "Girls, I'm-" Cassian stopped short when he saw the girls playing on the floor covered in mud and dust. As a matter of fact, the entire living room/kitchen was covered in mud and dust. Earlier, he had to go into town to run some errands. The girls didn't wanna go, claiming that it was too boring, so he left them alone. He was only gone for an hour. At least he thought he was. Apparently, 3 7 year olds can find out what to do in just an hour.

Nesta, Gwyn, and Emerie were both tumbling around in a little ball like tumble weeds trying to pry each other off of one another. Cassian almost mistaken them for boys. "I'm going to win this time!"

"No! I'll win!"

"I always win!"

Closing the door behind him, Cassian sighed heavily pinching the bridge of his nose. "Next time, I'm getting a babysitter." he said as he whistled for the girls' attention. Almost immediately, the girls turned and their eyes beamed with excitement. "CASSIE!" they all cried, storming their way towards him. "Woah woah woah girls don't-" It was too late. The girls jumped on top of him, causing Cassian to pummel to the ground.

Cassian landed with a thud as he struggled to get back up. "Where'd you go?"

"It's almost midnight!"

"Did you meet someone special?" The diablos kept asking questions that Cassian struggled to answer in his current state. "I'm not answering to any of you until you tell me why you are covered in mud." he said as Gwyn giggled. "It's not mud. We were playing behind the cows when one of them-"

"OKAY! Upstairs! In the bath, now!" Cassian watched as the girls raced upstairs, as Cassian tried to get the image out of his head. Yeah, definitely time for a babysitter.

--------------------

Once the girls were washed and dried, Cassian-trying to avoid the cow shit on their clothes-threw the girls' clothing's outside in the wash bucket. After going back inside, he went to the girls room and walked inside. Emerie and Nesta were talking with each other about different types of ways to braid a rope while Gwyn was in the middle brushing her dolls hair. She looked very sleepy.

"Girls." Cassian said as they all turned to him. Cassian leaned against the doorframe. "Bed, now." A chorus of 'awwwws' filled the room. "But I'm not tired." Gwyn complained as Cassian picked her up. "Yes you are. You can barely keep your eyes open." he stated a matter of fact as Gwyn's eyes were starting to close. Placing the tiny water nymph on the bed, Cassian pulled the covers over her body and turned to the other two. "That also goes for you two."

"But we're not tired."

"Yeah, we can stay up 'til midnight." Emerie smirked as Cassian rolled his eyes. "Well then, if you're gonna stay awake, you might as well have to clean up all the horse and cow manure, herd all the chicken in their coops, shave all of the sheep, and walk all of the sheep dogs. Which also includes cleaning up after their own poop that is." Cassian explained as he watched their faces slowly drop. "But, you're not tired so I can always make you-"

"Nevermind, I'm sleepy!"

"Me too." Nesta and Emerie scrambled to each of their beds, tucking themselves in. Cassian couldn't help but chuckle. "Remember, when the rooster wakes up, wake up. No exceptions."

"But it's always so early."

"Which is why we all have to get as much sleep as we can." Cassian replied as Emerie yawned. "See, told ya." Cassian turned off all 3 of the lamps that were in the room. "Rest easy girls. We have a big day tomorrow."

"We always have a big day tomorrow." Nesta mumbled before drifting off to sleep. Cassian smiled and ruffled her hair. Cassian closed the door behind him and went into his own room to sleep.

----------------

At around 1 in the morning, Cassian felt his bedroom door open, though he didn't stir. Whenever someone entered his room, he pretended to be asleep to get the element of surprise. However, a tiny lump hopped onto his bed and softly whispered, "I don't think he's awake." Cassian recognized the voice as Gwyn. He also heard two pairs of little feet walking towards his bed. They jumped on top of him, as he tried not to move. "That's good. I don't want him to know we're here."

"Why? We're not stealing are we?"

"No, of course not. I just...couldn't sleep." Nesta shyly replied as Cassian heard the girls agree with her. "Yeah, I can't sleep without Cass. He helped me with my wounds."

"He taught me how to fly."

"He save me from the storm." The girls laid down, two of them in front of Cassian while Emerie was hugging him from behind. "I just hope...he's not like my dad."

"Or mine." Nesta replied to Emerie as she brushed her hand on his face lightly. Gwyn hugged Cassian tighter and whispered, "Please don't leave Cass. We don't want you to go." At this moment, Cassian stopped pretending and hugged them all back. The girls yelped in surprise. "You're awake?"

"Well it's hard to sleep without three girls keeping you up at 1:00 in the morning." The girls giggled a bit as Cassian smiled while opening his eyes. He saw all three of them smiling as well. "I'm not leaving. I promise." he said, as Cassian and the 3 diablos slept soundlessly in his bed, waiting for the future to embrace them with it's presence.