It's better this way

I quickly ran through the trees looking for the others when a crow started announcing overhead "Tanjiro and the demon he carries with him are to be taken in and brought before the council!"

I started panicking. As much as I'd like to help Tanjiro if I leave that female demon alone and she gets discovered they won't even blink before killing her! And I can't just let her die right after I told her I'd keep her safe.

Sorry Tanjiro but I'm going to have to leave you alone for now. I quickly ran back through the trees and was about to call her when I realised something... I don't know her name.

"Uhhhh. Hey where are you?! Quickly I need you to come out we've gotta go!" Shortly after I said this I heard a bush rustling to my left.

I quickly opened the bush and saw her sitting there curled into a ball "Come on hurry up. We're leaving."

She quickly got up and started following me. I started navigating my way through around all the people that were now walking about the forest.

After a bit we were able to finally get out of the forest and I breathed a sigh of relief but my moment of relaxing was cut short when I noticed someone following us.

"Hurry up! Someone's following us!"

I watched her start staggering "but I can't run any faster!"

I looked back as she started falling behind "aaaaargh! Fine!" I said quickly stopping to pick her up before running off top speed.

As I continued running I could hear them gaining on us. This is bad if this keeps up they're going to catch us! I desperately searched for a solution when I noticed a small patch of undergrowth.

"I've got it!"

I quickly ran towards the thickest part of the growth while taking out a bottle that contained a see through liquid.

I popped open the lid of the jar and as I dived through the leaves I poured it over everything. As we continued I briefly turned back to see the person emerge from the bush and try to resume his chase when he suddenly started slowing down and eventually collapsed on the road.

I smiled and started chuckling to myself he's going to be so confused when he wakes up.

After a while of running I started slowing down to catch my breath. I then put down the female I was carrying "by the way, I just wanted to ask you something quickly."

She turned to me questioningly and I then asked "what's your name? It'd be a lot easier if I knew how to call you."

She looked a bit sad "I don't remember my name everyone was forced to call me mother."

Dang well that complicates things. I thought for a moment before asking "so, is it fine if I give you a name? I don't want to run around screaming 'Hey woman'."

She thought for a bit before answering "yeah, go ahead it'd be nice to have a name."

I thought for a long time trying to come up with something. Something that sounds nice, but also has a good meaning. I thought for a while more when I suddenly remembered something "how does Kei sound?"

She thought for a bit before saying "ok, I guess it's fine."

"I actually got it from when my Sensei had a pet spider, it means blessing."

She gave me a look of surprise before saying "well I guess it's a nice name then."

"Don't worry it's just until you remember your own name or think of a better one."

With that we got up and continued our journey.

Time skip

We had taken shelter in an abandoned house we found along the way once the sun came up. The need to take shelter brought another obvious problem to my attention.