Heather

I woke up at about three-o'-clock in the morning to Cody accidentally slapping me in the face with his stuffed emu for about the twentieth time in the past hour. I grabbed hold of my wallet and put on my fuzzy slippers before quietly shutting the door behind me. I went to go and find the vending machine that I spotted earlier near the elevators. I yelped at the sight of something with a dull, cracking moss-colored face near the vending machine. 

A familiar voice spoke sternly. "Ugh, why are you screaming?"

"I didn't know it was you, Heather. You look like a gremlin with that face mask on."

"Whatever," She pressed a button on the vending machine. "Why are you awake?"

"I just wanted a snack."

Heather grabbed her shrimp chips from the slot of the machine. "Can I ask you something?"

I went to the vending machine and pressed the button for my favorite snack. "Like what?"

"Like, are you sick of Cody yet?"

"What kind of question is that? We just started dating." I let the machine eat up my money in exchange for a snack.

"I just don't understand it. I personally think you're way out of his league."

"None of that 'league' stuff matters to me, Heather."

"Clearly," She laughed sardonically. "If it did, you wouldn't be with Cody.

"Are you going back to your room soon?" I got my snack from the vending machine and began to eat.

"No way! Gwen snores like a wildebeest," She laughed. "Are you going back to your room with Cody?"

"Nope. He sleeps with a stuffed animal and he keeps hitting me with it in his sleep."

"You're serious?"

"Dead serious." 

She leaned against the wall cooly and laughed. "You haven't dated anyone before Cody, have you?"

I quickly got flustered. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean, you're settling for a total dweeb who has nothing to offer you..."

"You sound jealous," I smirked. "Does Cody have a secret admirer?"

Heather's face contorted with disgust, further cracking the dried clay mask smothered across her face. "As if! That's not what I meant."

"Then what did you mean?"

Her face softened. "I- Nothing, I'm going back into my room." 

"Could I come with you? I wanna see if you're lying about Gwen's snoring."

Heather agreed and led me into her shared room. Gwen blared like a foghorn in her sleep. She had to have some kind of sleep apnea. Heather turned on the light and rolled her eyes at Gwen. 

"Do you see what I have to deal with?" She sighed. "I've been hiding in the bathroom to get away from the noise, but it hasn't helped as much."

"Hey, I've got an idea!" I took out my iPod Nano and some earbuds. "We could listen to music, if you'd like."

"Ugh, no thanks. I bet you probably listen to Weezer."

"And what do you listen to?"

"Nothing!" She blurted out. 

"You really listen to no music at all?" I narrowed my eyes at her. "You're probably just one of those people who's embarrassed by their music taste. Why don't you look through my library on here and find a song you like?"

Heather rolled her eyes and took the ipod from me. "Whatever, I'll just pick one so you'll shut up."

I handed her one side of the earbud after placing the other one in my ear. Heather shuffled through the downloaded music before settling on a random song. By looks of it, she didn't entirely hate it!