Chapter Seven

(The pic in this chapter is from Pinterest)

After the Transfiguration class, (where Professor McGonagall had just assured the class that Harry wouldn't die) Hermione, Harry, Ron and I joined the crowd thundering towards the Great Hall for lunch.

The shock had subsided after the divination lesson, but thoughts were flying around in my head.

Why would she say it in front of the whole class? What if someone was now suspecting something? Why did she know? How much did she know?

But what if people start asking questions? I mean, they'll notice that Wendy isn't at school.

We reached the Great Hall and sat down around the Gryffindor Table.

I figured it would be easier to talk to someone who wasn't in Divination class, so I turned my head to Ginny.

But soon I overheard Hermione talking to Ron.

"Ron, cheer up" She pushed a dish of stew towards him. "You heard what professor McGonagall said"

Ron didn't answer Hermione. Instead he spoke to Harry.

"Harry" he said, in a low serious voice, "you haven't been seeing a great black dog anywhere, have you?

Harry stared down at his plate with food, I knew the answer.

"Yeah, I have" he said dreadful. "I saw one the night I left the Dursleys"

Ron's fork fell onto his plate with a clatter.

"Probably a stray" Hermione said calmly.

"Hermione, if Harry's seen a Grim, that's- that's bad" Ron said. "My uncle Bilius saw one and- and he died twenty four hour later!"

"Coincidence" said Hermione and took a sip of her pumpkin juice.

"You don't know what you're talking about!" Ron started to get angry. "Grims scares the living daylight out of most wizards!"

"There you are, then," said Hermione in a superior tone. "They see the Grim and die of fright. The Grim's not an omen, it's the cause of death! And Harry's still with us because he's not stupid enough to see one and think, right, well, I'd better pop my clogs then!"

Hermione pulled her Arithmancy book out of her bag and opened it in the table.

"I think Divination seems very woolly" she said, searching for her page. 'A lot of guesswork, if you ask me."

"There was nothing woolly about the Grim in that cup!" said Ron angrily.

"You didn't seem quite so confident when you were telling Harry it was a sheep" said Hermione coolly.

"Professor Trelawney said you didn't have the right aura! You just don't like being rubbish at something for a change!"

Hermione slammed her Arirhmancy book shut.

"If being good at Divination means I have to pretend to see death omens in a lump of tea leaves, I'm not sure I'll be studying it much longer!" She started to put her book back into her bag. "Didn't you hear what Professor Trelawney said about Lovisa?"

At the mention of my name they all cast a quick glance at me.  I looked away quickly and begged that no one would ask me anything.

"That her family has left her! It's totally unreasonable! That lesson was absolute rubbish compared to my Arithmancy class!"

With those words, she stalked away.

Ron's cheeks were almost as red as his hair. He was looking everywhere but at me. He was probably ashamed that he hadn't considered what Professor Trelawney told me before claiming what she said was true.