Chapter 23 Allies and Enemies

A/N: It has been way too long since I posted my last chapter so I present to you an 8k word chapter! School started and it has been busy! I finally have a three-day weekend to write this massive chapter! This chapter contains graphic scenes of violence and descriptions of blood. There is a reason why WOL has a violence warning! Enjoy!

Seokjin kisses Yoongi's forehead and breathes in his bourbon sweet scent. He pulls from the small cot in the makeshift tent and stands from the chair. He exchanges a look with Taehyung, who remains glued to his hyungie's side.

"You take care of him," Jin instructs, though he probably didn't need to. It goes without saying that Taehyung would do anything to nurse Yoongi back to health.

Taehyung, sitting on the cot beside Yoongi, sits up straight. "I will, hyung."

Jin smiles softly and reaches over to ruffle Taehyung's feather-soft hair.

Taehyung chuckles and leans into Jin's touch.

Yoongi is breathing quietly as he sleeps. The human doctor and her nurse gave him painkillers once he stabilized. He's going to be okay.

Jin remembers a time when he was recovering from injury.

After the fire.

In most cases, the past means nothing to Jin. It isn't in his nature to hold onto the past, and wonder what life could have been. He taught himself never to regret his decisions, and to move in tandem with the world instead of against it. He focuses on the present because that's the only time that matters. How he feels and acts all comes down to the present.

Although there are a few exceptions to how he perceives life.

The fire is a definite marker in the timeline of Seokjin's life.

The flap of the small tent opens and Jungkook pokes his head in. His injuries have been cleaned and bandaged, but Jin feels an ache of worry for the young boy. "It's time to go," he says.

"Okay." Jin gives Taehyung one last look, "I love you. And be careful."

Taehyung nods dutifully.

Jungkook's eyes sadden when he looks at Yoongi. "Please be careful, hyung." He walks over and gives Taehyung a kiss on the head. Taehyung reaches out and pulls Jungkook into a tight hug. He nuzzles his head against Jungkook's stomach and closes his eyes tightly.

Taehyung repeats it back as he captures one of Jungkook's hands. He brings it to his lips and kisses his knuckles lightly. "You too."

After bidding their goodbyes and promises of return, Jungkook and Jin leave the tent in silence.

When Jin steps out into the cold afternoon light, he feels a wave of nostalgia for the shifting of the seasons. His thoughts turn back to the night of the fire. It feels like he has been focusing on it a lot. Everyone has.

Then he sees the blood-splattered white sheet in the center of the clearing. The body of Alpha Grayson has been hidden, along with the three wolf bodies scattered at his sides. The grisly state of their corpses has been mercifully covered.

Jin knows what they did was to protect the pack and he doesn't regret it. However, no matter how justified a reason can be, there are still the consequences of taking a life.

He remembers the wolf he killed during the fire while he defended the nursery. He remembers it vividly. It's something you can't forget, after all.

Jungkook takes his hand and shakes him from his ash-stained memories. "Hyung, we need to go."

Jin clears his throat and turns his gaze away from the bodies. "Right. Yeah, let's go."

Jungkook watches him in concern but doesn't comment on it. The two walk away from the clearing and towards the gathering of humans. They mingle together at the beginning of the path that leads towards Calemari. They check the magazines of their guns and chat in hushed tones about how fierce wolves can be. How they need to be prepared for anything.