Chapter 24 Threats and Warnings

"Namjoon?"

He lifted his head from his hands and remained slumped forward. Namjoon's gaze was empty as he met Charlotte's eyes.

"Are you doing alright?" she asked as she lingered in the bedroom doorway. A blanket was wrapped around her shoulders and her arms hugged her waist tightly. She looked cold. "I wanted to come up and check on you. You've been up here for a while."

Namjoon looked at the clock sitting on his bedside table. It was almost four in the morning. The sun had yet to rise. He began to doubt that it would. That today time itself had frozen and the night was eternal.

The nightmare would never end.

"It doesn't feel real," he muttered. Images of the burning houses remained fresh in his mind. He could still hear the sound of pained howls and screams, the crackling of the fire on fallen wood. He couldn't stop thinking about it.

Namjoon couldn't stop thinking about how cowardly he had acted.

If I had done more, would there be more survivors?

There was no word from Alpha Iris's pack. Namjoon and his friends appeared to be the only ones who escaped. He wasn't sure what was worse; anxiously waiting or knowing what came to pass.

It was the scent of Charlotte that brought him out of his downward spiral. The delicious soft peach and vanilla smell curled off her body. The dizzying effect of her Luna biology was taking its toll as her presence filled the room.

Namjoon's mouth fell open as he breathed her in. His eyes glazed over and for a moment, something within him loosened. The sudden desire to drag her further into his bedroom and bend her over on his bed. He wanted to melt into her and sink his teeth into her soft skin like an animal.

She looked good, he noticed. Older. Her form had filled out since last he saw her. The dips in her hips were more pronounced. Her shorts left her pretty thighs on display and her legs dotted with an occasional razor cut.

Charlotte's eyes narrowed a fraction. She glanced back at the door and pulled her blanket tighter around her shoulders. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," he replied softly.

"I wish I didn't have to be like this."

With great effort, Namjoon shoved away his primal desires and fell back on his bed. "Me too."

"Everyone is still awake," she continued. "Alpha sent out patrols to secure the borders. He also contacted the surrounding packs and warned them about what happened."

Namjoon's heart swelled with violent emotion. His body still smelled of smoke and ash. "Has anyone made it out?" he asked hesitantly. "Have the other packs seen any survivors?"

Charlotte was silent.

The corners of his mouth pulled wide as he fought the rise of tears. "Okay," he replied, his voice barely above a whisper.

"I'm so sorry, Namjoon," Charlotte said. She inhaled shakily, "I'm so, so sorry.

"It's not your fault."

"This shouldn't have happened."

Namjoon squeezed his eyes shut and nodded. "I know," he managed to choke out.

Charlotte approached him slowly, hesitantly. Namjoon understood why. He was an Alpha on the verge of an emotional breakdown. She couldn't read his mind. She wouldn't know that all he wanted was...