V. ꜰᴏᴜɴᴅᴇʀ'ꜱ ᴅᴀʏ

ANNABEL LEE

005. FOUNDER'S DAY

season one, episode twenty-two

────────

FEBRUARY 2010

ANNABEL SAT DOWN NEXT TO DAMON BY THE CELLAR, BOTH OF THEM WATCHING STEFAN. "It's so hard to see him locked up like this," she muttered at some point. He was feverish and hallucinating, and clearly in pain. She was counting down the days for Lexie to come, not bearing to see him go through that much hurt.

She looked at Damon, who was fidgeting with the device that Pearl had given him. "Did you ever figure out what that is?"

"Nope," he replied. "Whatever it is, it doesn't work."

"Pearl didn't say anything else about it?" She asked.

"She thought she was stealing his vampire compass, but that was a pocket watch," he muttered. "That Johnathan Gilbert was a crazy scientist."

Before she could say anything, his phone rang. "Hello?" Whatever the other person on the other side of the line said, clearly spiked his curiosity since his eyebrows shot up and he placed the call on speaker. "Before I hang up, how did you get this number?"

"Ah, it's a mystery," Annabel realized that it was Alaric Saltzman. "Listen, I've, uh, been doing some digging on Elena's uncle."

"What kind of digging?" Damon asked.

"I've got an old friend from Duke. Who studied criminology when we were there together. Let's just say he's become a very proficient digger," Alaric said. "I had him run a track on John's cell records. He was getting a call from a number, the same number that Elena dialed to get Isobel. And then it was disconnected."

"Isobel knows John. Whatever," Damon replied. "We knew that already."

"Right," Alaric said. "Well, after that, he started getting calls from a new number. And he tracked the name. He got the address. It's an apartment in Grove Hill."

"Isobel's in Grove Hill?" Annabel asked, earning a nasty glare from Damon.

"I should have known you were there," Alaric muttered. "I thought we could all make a road trip and see what we find."