III. ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛꜱ ᴄʟᴜʙ

ANNABEL LEE

ANNABEL LEE

003. broken hearts club

season one, episodes sixteen and seventeen

────────

JANUARY 2010

TO SAY DAMON WAS SUFFERING, WOULD BE A HELL OF AN UNDERSTATEMENT. Annabel hated to do this, but she was forced to give Damon some space. The blood and the gore he had surrounded himself with were a little too much for her to handle, so she spent more and more time at her house, leaving him to grieve.

One morning, after breakfast with Stefan at the Grill, Annabel went to visit the eldest Salvatore, immediately regretting her decision. He was feeding off a young sorority girl. There were other girls dancing to loud music. As Annabel scanned them, she noticed that all the girls had bite marks up and down their bodies. Stefan turned the lights on, and Damon let out a loud groan. "No! Buzzkill Bob."

He turned the music off. Damon looked up at him blearily. "Greetings," he looked past his brother's shoulder and saw Annabel. "Bambi?"

"Hi, Dracula," Annabel muttered, making her presence known. "Can we talk?"

Damon shrugged, "Yeah."

"Without the Tri-Delts," Stefan added.

"Anything you have to say to me, you can say in front of them. They're really good at keeping secrets," Damon said, gesturing to the girls on the sofas.

Stefan and Damon had a silent argument, but in the end, he complied. Pulling Stefan and Annabel into a private corner, Damon took a sip of his bottle of bourbon. "You're worried about me. That's nice. Don't be. There's no need. I'm fine," he said, slurring his speech. "Why wouldn't I be? I spent the last 145 years with one goal: get in that tomb. I succeeded. Granted, Katherine wasn't in there to be rescued, but why dwell? You know, it's so liberating not having a master plan, because I can do whatever the hell I want."

"That's kind of what I'm afraid of," Stefan muttered, and Annabel fought the urge to smack him.

"Relax. I haven't killed anyone in..." Damon sighed. "Too long."

"And those girls?" Annie asked.

"Will end up in their dorm with headaches, think they blacked out. Business as usual," Damon said. He then turned to Stefan. "Predictable, you didn't pull me over here for a pep talk. So drink up," he pushed the bottle into Stefan's chest. "Spill it, brother."

Stefan grabbed the bottle and placed it on his side. "There was a woman you may have known a few years back named Isobel in North Carolina at Duke."

Damon blinked. "You wanna discuss the women in my past right now? Seriously?"