VII. ꜱᴇᴄʀᴇᴛꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍᴀꜱᴋꜱ

ANNABEL LEE

007. SECRETS AND MASKS

season two, episodes five to eight

────────

MARCH 2010

ANNABEL arrived at the Salvatore Boarding House with Stefan, both of them looking utterly confused after Damon's cryptic text. They had spent the afternoon hiking. Well, Stefan was hunting and Annabel was hiking, doing her best to ignore his murder of bunnies.

The second they entered the house, they saw Caroline sitting on the couch with a glass of blood, Damon by her side.

"What happened?" Annabel asked, furrowing her brow at the sight.

"Go ahead, tell them," Damon said to Caroline. Then, turning to Annabel and Stefan, he added, "You guys are gonna love this."

Caroline sighed, "I saw Katherine today."

"Where?" Stefan and Annabel asked at the same time.

"At the Grill," Caroline replied. "I just stopped by to gawk and... stalk Matt." She looked ashamed as she continued, "He asked if I needed a table and said I needed to use, and I quote, 'the little girls' room.'"

Annabel cringed. Teenage love was brutal.

"Skip the teen drama and get to it," Damon urged her.

"Then I had to pretend to use the bathroom even though I didn't really have to go because I'm a doofus," Caroline said. "I was washing my hands when Katherine arrived, posing as Elena. She said I needed to deliver a message to you two."

"What was the message?" Annabel asked.

"That she wants the moonstone or she will rip this town apart until it rains blood," Caroline replied. "Tonight, at the masquerade ball."