II. ꜰᴏᴏʟ ᴍᴇ ᴏɴᴄᴇ, ꜰᴏᴏʟ ᴍᴇ ᴛᴡɪᴄᴇ

ANNABEL LEE

ANNABEL LEE

002. fool me once, fool me twice

season one, episodes fourteen and fifteen

────────

DECEMBER 2009

BY THE TIME DECEMBER ROLLED AROUND, Annabel and the Salvatores had become inseparable. Well, they enjoyed being in her presence, not necessarily in the presence of each other. But Damon's bombastic revelation about Katherine being alive and stuck in a tomb for a hundred and fifty years, the haunting of Emily Bennet, and the discovery that Mystic Falls had other vampires running around kind of placed a kink on Annabel's plan to make the brothers reconcile.

Right now, Annabel was busy with her current plan: force Damon to make up with all of the people in town that might want him dead.

"You are pathetic when you're all let's redeem Damon's soul," Damon announced as the two of them spotted the one and only Bonnie Bennet at the Mystic Grill.

"And you're transparent when you are deflecting," Annabel said. "Go and apologize to the girl. She is seventeen. Man up."

"I hate you," Damon said, standing up from his seat at the bar.

Annabel, giving him a gentle push, said. "I hate you too, buddy."

With a heavy sigh, Damon walked to Bonnie, who was about to leave. " What do you want from me?" the witch asked.

"I think we need a fresh start," Damon said. And to the vampire, that was as close to an apology anyone would ever get from him.

Bonnie stared at him blankly. "You tried to kill me."

"But I didn't," Damon pointed out, smiling. God, was he truly incapable of interacting with a human? "And if I wanted to, I would have. Does that not count for anything?"

"You know, I can start fires with my mind. Fires kill vampires, right?" Bonnie spoke, and Damon looked slightly concerned. "Just stay the hell away from me."

Damon, obviously controlling his urge to kill Bonnie, grimaced, and walked back toward Annabel. "I told you this wouldn't work."

"Well, at least we know how she will kill you," Annabel pointed out happily. "And we know for a fact it won't involve me. Which is excellent news."

"For you maybe," he grunted, drinking his whiskey. "All I got was the threat of me possibly becoming a barbecue."

"A very cute barbecue you might say," she offered with a smile.

Damon stared at her. "Not helping, Bambi."