Wednesday
October 12th

I had picked up a double shift at the diner. I came home from work exhausted and ready to just head to bed when both of my parents unexpectedly were both home from work. I walked into the house as I removed my coat. Mum was stood by the door skimming through the postage. "Where are you going missy?" She asked. "Um, to bed? I just worked for 12 hours. I'm beat." I said. "M-m. I told you the Sellecks are coming for dinner tonight?" The Sellecks were old college friends of my parents. "You're joking right?" I spoke. "No, I told you yesterday. It's obvious you weren't listening with that selective hearing of yours." She said annoyed. "I guess I got that from you then?" I clapped back. "Watch your mouth young lady." Her voice raised. "Bite me!" I spat. "That's enough! Matilda, go clean up. They'll be here in a half hour. So that gives you 19 minutes to clean up that act of yours or you can starve." Dad said. "Well, lucky for you I ate before I left the diner. I'm going to bed." I rolled my eyes as I began to walk away. "Like hell you are, you're in charge of dinner." Mum said. "What the hell! Dad just said they'll be here in 30 minutes, what am I supposed to cook in that time?" My voice raised. "I don't know, you figure it out. But, you better watch your tone. I'm sick of your attitude." She said. I groaned before quickly making my way to room changing out of my sweaty clothes. I wasn't even given enough time to shower but hell, I wasn't trying to impress anyone. I knew my choice in wearing a jumper and joggers would reek havoc, so I just threw on a regular shirt and a pair of leggings. That was comfy enough and as presentable as I would get.

I decided that in the time that I had that I would cook up some mac n' cheese, because you can never go wrong with mac n' cheese. Will it satisfy my parents. Never. But they'll just have to deal with it. "By the way I'm letting you know now that Peter is coming as well, you better be on your best behavior. Don't do or say anything that will embarrass me or your mother so I suggest you keep your mouth quiet." My father hissed, my eyes went wide and I froze. Peter Selleck. Peter was a cocky chav. Our parents have tried setting us up on multiple occasions. There's no chance in hell that I would ever want to date someone as arrogant and disgusting as him.

Dinner was served and thankfully my parents had nothing much to say about it. I was sat quietly at the table. "So Matilda, you're mother said you're still not seeing anyone. I was thinking maybe you and Peter should give it another go. "I'll have to pass much, mum. She's too naïve for me.." He cringed. "And you're too crooked for me!" I clapped back. "Matilda!" My mother scolded. "Really? The one who stays inside all day doing nothing." He said. "As opposed to being a walking STI?! I don't leave my house because of people like you." I shot up from my seat. "You know what you did to me you manky load of shit." I hissed pointing my finger across the table. "You are off your rocker Matilda. I did nothing wrong." That gaslighting twat. "You are a liar! You-" My father cut me off. "Matilda, that is enough!" He shouted pounding on the table. "Not only have you spoiled everyone's appetite, but the mood for the evening and I will not tolerate it for another minute! So you can either get your act together and be quiet or go to your room." My father scolded. Angry tears filled my eyes before storming off to my bedroom slamming the door.

The nerve of him showing up to my house after what he did. He knows exactly what he did. He came into this bedroom in the middle of the night, when I was asleep after my brothers invited him over. Neither one of my parents bothered to listen to me, nobody had they thought I was making it up. They saw it as a pathetic cry for attention. With their attempts to make me feel like I was delusional. I was only 13, he was 17. I had a 'manic episode' my family liked to called it. And it gave my parents reason enough to have me admitted into an institution. I groaned in frustration as tears fell down my face. I heard my text tone go off as I grabbed my phone from my desk. Harry.

Hi darling, are you busy?

Not at all. What's up?

Would you like to come over for a drink?

Sure. I'm on my way now.

:)

I walked out of my bedroom past the dining table to grab my coat. "Where do you think you're going?" My father spoke. "Out!" I spat before opening the front door, slamming it behind me.

I walked 6 blocks to Harry's before I finally arrived at his complex, buzzing into the intercom. "Who is it?" He asked. "It's Dove.." I replied. "C'mon up, darling." He said before I heard the door unlock before I walked in and headed upstairs.

I reached his doorstep, knocking twice. He opened the door. "Hi love." He spoke. "Hi.." "Come in.." I stepped into his apartment as he helped me remove my coat. "What's your drink of choice? I have tea, cider, wine, & cocoa?" "Wine sounds nice about now." I sighed. He walked over to the fridge pulling out two bottles. "Coming right up, red or white?" He asked holding . "Red for sure." I answered. "Always a good choice." He said placing the bottle onto the counter while grabbing 2 glasses. "I'm glad you could come over." He asked. "Yea, it gave me enough of a reason to get out of the house.." I said taking a sip of the rogue. "Everything alright, darling?" "It's nothing really. I've just had a bit of a crap night. Today was really long and I'm exhausted." I explained. "I'm sorry. Would you like to talk about it?" He asked me. "No, no. It's stupid." "No, it's not. You can talk to me. Whatever it is, hit me." He said, I breathed out a short chuckle. "Well, my parents invited their old friends from college. Along with their son." My shoulders ate my ears just talking about him. "He's just sleazy and a disgusting piece of scum. Truly had his hand in ruining my life.." I mumbled taking a sip from my wine glass. "I'm sorry Dove.." He apologized. "It's fine, I guess. I don't know. It's all just kind of really fucked up. I'm fucked up." I said before almost downing my glass. "Aren't we all just little bit fucked up? You're just going through the motions, Dove." He said placing his hand on my knee. "Yea, an emotional fucking rollercoaster. I mean, shit!" I blurted. He was quiet for a moment. "Is there more wine?" I asked, he slightly chucked as he nodded taking my glass from me.

"I'm quite surprised you haven't given me the look that everyone gives when they hear someone dumping on them." I admitted. "I don't judge." He spoke. "Well, then you'd be the first one not to for me." I sighed. "Here, pinkie promise." He said, I grew a confused look on my face. "A pinkie promise?" I asked. "A promise always has to be a pinkie promise. That's the only way you know it'll be kept. So, yes. Pinkie promise." He spoke. I shortly chuckled before sticking up my pinkie and locking it with his. "What are you promising?" I asked. "That as a friend, whatever it is that you tell me, it'll always stay between us and I will never judge." He said. "That's a lot to promise.." I admitted. "It is. But unlike many, I'm someone who likes to keep their word, always.." He said, I found great comfort in knowing how genuine he was. It'd take some time for me to fully be able trust but with him that trust was slowly but surely already beginning to grow.