Chapter 9 ♡

Kai's P.O.V

I didn't have to glance down to look at my hands to know that they were turning entirely white from how hard I gripped my knees.

I sat perfectly up straight and made sure my composure was flawless.

There was no room for any sign of slacking or looking distressed as I was forced to carefully observe and attentively listen to everything without a single word leaving my mouth.

The room held an uncomfortable cold and hostile atmosphere as the disgusting stench of cigar smoke and older men's cologne forced itself inside my nostrils without giving me a chance to breathe properly.

Everything in here was slowly but surely suffocating me but no one could tell....more like...no one cared.

"Eighty thousand. Not much when you will be compensated once I begin to construct the casino. Money will flow in like crazy into our pockets! Think about it! Only a fool would decline such an amazing opportunity!" an enthusiastic man in his late fifties with greying hair and a dark, blue suit exclaimed with greed obvious in his words.

He almost slipped out of his chair and took another puff of his cigar as I noticed the button on his coat was about to pop off with the way his stomach was beginning to get too big for it.

Gluttony at its best.

His wrinkled, green eyes turned my way for what seemed to be the hundredth time in just a few minutes and expressed unquestionably the unpure desires in them.

A male his age lusting for a boy who only just turned fourteen last month was nothing new to witness...

It made my skin crawl with absolute repulsion as I kept gripping my knees tighter to avoid making any mistakes and expressing any misery that would make my father pleased to detect.

"I can simply open an illegal one on my own and keep all the money so why would I want to share anything with a stupid pig like you? Did you only come here to not only waste my valuable time but insult me as well?" my father violently slammed his fists on his desk scaring everyone in the room, except me, as I expected such a harsh reaction from the way he was spoken to by this man.

My eyes unhurriedly glimpsed over at him and caught the way the bold veins on his neck were forced out when he couldn't contain the rage taking over him.

It was like watching something enter his body...something evil and entirely malicious that you could not reason with until its thirst for blood was satisfied.

This man was filled with nothing but darkness and sin.

"N-N...N...No! Of course not! I want to be a business partner with someone as great as you, Viper! I will do anything to be on your side! I have a couple of illegal brothels in Asia, but I need your intelligence and help in expanding those profits! Just aid this foolish man with a small loan and I promise to not disappoint! I will give you back three times the amount, I swear it! If not, you can take my wife as a contribution," it was pitiful to witness how desperate these people got when they tried to convince my father for a loan.

Like this man who got down on his knees and crawled to my father's side and had no problem being so shameful for money when he kissed his shoes only to be kicked away.

He wasn't the only one though...this was the third person seeking my father like this in the last few hours.

My body was aching from sitting on this cushioned chair for so long but I didn't dare lean back to relax or display indications of exhaustion.

This would be interpreted as slacking.

The bruising welts on the back of my legs were enough motivation to keep me sitting upright in a perfect posture.