Chapter 8

Chapter 8: New purpose

          It's been 2 months since his transportation and this 2nd chance was given to him. Living as Dorcas Burgen was very comfortable and Dorcas can admit that he enjoyed it.

As a child of Duke Burgen, he doesn't need to work hard and there were servants to assist him and cater to his needs. Dorcas doesn't also need to worry about money as Duke Burgen was a very rich man.

The amount of wealth that the Duke has was something that he could never imagine in his lifetime.

Other than the wealth and luxury, there was something that Dorcas enjoyed more than everything else.

Being loved and spoiled by Duke Burgen. At first, experiencing the Duke's affection and doting on him make Dorcas very embarrassed and also guilty. He was embarrassed because he knows that he wasn't a child anymore and doesn't need to be treated in this way. Guilty because the original Dorcas should be the one experiencing it.

Yet as time passed, Dorcas eventually learned to accept and enjoy the Duke's parental affections. It also made him cry because it reminded him of his parents from his last life and his little sister. The latter is because Dorcas thought his little sister should deserve to receive this kind of affection and love.

From a stranger, and viewing Duke Daryus Burgen as his father, Dorcas has come a long way.

His father, Daryus Burgen for him was one of the best and most good fathers in this world. But Dorcas was sad to discover that being a good father doesn't translate to being a good noble and lord of his territory.

At first, he heard rumors from some of the servants in the Burgen Manor about the people of his father's territory having not a good impression of the Duke and hating him. Dorcas doesn't understand why they hate his father.

But as Dorcas started his nightly incursion and acting method of being a Bard in a tavern at Thrifa Town, he discovered several reasons why would the people hate his father.

At first, since those people are just drunkards, he only thought of them as rumors and fabrications, but with every visit to the tavern and getting to know some of them, the chances of it being just fabrications lessened and lessened. And with his recent questions towards them, Dorcas has come to understand the part of the truth in the situation.

Dorcas wasn't a Saint or a truly good person. He made a lot of mistakes and sins in his past life. But Duke Burgen's actions greatly saddened and disappointed him.

He still loves the Duke as his father but Duke Daryus's actions and choices cause a lot of people to suffer and hate him.

The people could do nothing but complain, vent, and hate the Duke every day they spend their days alive and surviving in this trashy kingdom. But just like the history lessons and moral value stories of his past life, Dorcas knows that the situation would eventually turn itself over. Duke Daryus Burgen would reap the consequences of his actions and choices in the future.

Dorcas doesn't know when, but he was certain that it would happen. And one of the possible futures that Dorcas could imagine for the Duke was his death. It may have been because he learned about the French Revolution that death was the very first thing that was stuck in Dorcas' mind.

But thinking of the people's hatred towards the Duke, the possibility of Death was huge. And maybe, it wouldn't be a pleasant death at all.

And it wasn't also just his father that the people hated, they also happened to hated other nobles. But the thing that the people hated the most in this kingdom was the Mages.

Even in another world, prejudice, discrimination, and abuse of power are rampant. And Dorcas has his eyes opened about the current situation in the Whipper Kingdom.

Nobles abuse their Status to the commoners of this Kingdom and Mages see themselves as superior to the magic-less and magic-resistant people of the Whipper Kingdom.

The tax increase, indifference towards the people suffering, abuse of power, and finally, people being used as test subjects by the mages.

It's very disgusting.

And among those crimes that Dorcas has listed, his father, Duke Burgen was guilty of few among in those lists.

Dorcas wondered if this is the Original Dorcas' reason for letting him have a second chance.

As he has thought before, he thinks he wasn't a good person at all in his past life. He was apathetic at most to the things that people around him happened save for those people that he cared about. He wasn't a Saint. There are only a limited number of people who can put effort to be kind and caring for them.

In that sense, he and the Duke had something in common.

They were both selfish people who only cared about their cherish loved ones.

But there is a clear difference between them. In his past life, he was only a normal citizen. So his selfish actions don't result in any serious harm as he was only a mere speck in the dust. Yet, the Duke is different. Because of his status, his actions have consequences. Duke Burgen was a ruler of a territory. His selfish actions have resulted in the suffering of the people of the Whipper Kingdom.

In the future, with absolute certainty, Daryus Burgen would face the inevitable karma of his actions.

Daryus Burgen wasn't a good lord.

But. For him, he was a good father.

If there are two common things about the two of them, they were selfish for the people that they care about. They would be willing to do anything so that they could see their loved ones smile and feel satisfied.

Dorcas Burgen was a selfish person like his father. And because of that, he wanted his Father to live and avoid the consequences of his actions.

Dorcas doesn't know when that future would happen. But while they were still in the present, he wanted to change the possible outcome for Duke Burgen.

Dorcas wanted to change the Duke's possible fate and struck down all of the hate that would lead to his death.