Chapter 31

Chapter 31

                The next few days flew by in a rush of colors and commotion as my friends and I were carted all over the place by an enthusiastic pavox by the name of Aether.  Both Dakarai and Ora were included in the tour.  Throughout our travels, those we passed would eye the skaal with suspicion but did nothing else.  On the flip side, I was greeted with evident excitement everywhere I went.  Some approached me, wishing me well and welcome and treated me as much of the High Bladvier that I was.  It was a strange experience but I accepted their wishes humbly and thanked them which put large smiles on their faces.  Meanwhile, Aether seemed to make it his life's mission to show us all around the pillar-islands and would not rest until we visited every single one.  Since flying was the only way to island hop, I begged the assistance of a peryton, saying only that I wanted to rest my wings and had wanted to meet a peryton closer up, despite having already ridden on one to arrive at the capitol.

                The peryton given to me was a small female named Bijou with a brown-gray pelt with a pair of matching wings that were just as large, if not slightly larger, than my own fifteen foot wingspan.

It was on the third day of our touring that Aether took us to a particularly large island, about half the size of the largest, central island that supported the Aerie.  It was a bit of a flight away but Aether told us with a twinkle in his eyes that it would be worth the trip.

There was a large outcropping of closely situated pillars that we had to pass over in order to reach the island Aether was excited to show us.  We flew low enough that it looked like we were going to land on those islands, but with a grin back at us, he shot up with a showy loop, clearing the tall structures that littered the row of stone barriers that dotted the assortment of islands, and we followed. 

I was still wondering what the walls could be for when the island came into view.  A collective gasp ran through the crowd, even Raven seemed surprised.  Evidently she hadn't been this far into the capitol before.  The Island itself was large enough to be impressive on its own, compared to its neighbors.  However it was the gigantic tree in the center of the island that held our attention.  The tree was enormous, I could easily see over half the population of Veiliegstad, if not more, roosting comfortably on its large, winding branches.  So impressed with the size, it took me a moment to realize that there was a lot of activity going on at the tree.  Pavox were flying around the branches, decorating them with rows of flowers and little woven baskets pocketed with holes that were spaced out evenly.

Why is it so busy? Amiri asked me, watching the happenings with curious eyes.

I shrugged and asked Amiri's question to Aether who looked startled and answered in his up-beat voice,

"Why, we are preparing for the Festival in the next week!  Surely you've heard of it by now?"

"No, I'm afraid not.  What festival is it?" I asked, trying to think of the festivals I used to celebrate as a hatchling.

"My dear High Bladvier, it is only the most important festival in Veiliegstad!  It's Veliu-onothu, the anniversary of the first Pavox!"

We all looked at him in confusion.  Aether gaped at us as well.  "Surely you know the story of how the races came to be?"

"I read a story... somewhere, but I thought it was only a tale."  I spoke up, not sure if I should mention the Kundi-Amani or its library to just anyone.

"Of course not.  If you in fact read from the book: The History of the Races, then you have read the true story!  This festival is to commemorate the brave Aquila of the Northern tribe that accompanied the three others from each of the four tribes that surrounded the mountain to obtain the power that resided deep within the mount.  It is from her that we have developed not only our ability to fly, but every aspect that sets us apart from the other races."