Chapter 34

Previously on Fledging: Araceli is still grieving over her friend's death, but tensions are tightening in pavox- skaal relations.  After a few days, Araceli meets with her parents for the second time, this time she is able to talk more with her father, Koisar, who had been rendered mute from a previous battle.  Thema then asks Araceli to consider if she would want to be a part of the High court or not, Araceli did not know what to do but promised to think about it before Akili rushes in, saying that Arkell and his party had been attacked by a group of mostly Skaal but accompanied by a few dark winged pavox that Araceli relates back to the Kraaigh tribe and wonders if it could be them.  Thema then reveals that she had known about her inablility to fly, claiming that once everything was cleared up, she would look into the issue of pavox slavery on the main land. Following protocall Araceli goes into hiding to protect herself as she cannot fight or fly, but Kenneth follows her, saying that someone else needed to be with her.  As Thema and Koisar go to battle and they are approaching the door to the room, following Akili, they are ambushed and Araceli blacks out, her last sight of Amiri flying off and a pair of talons in front of her.  Who was it and what did they want?  

STUFF IS HAPPENING!!! Pleas vote and let me hear your comments!! And of course, Enjoy!!

Chapter 34

When I came to, my eyes seemed to be sealed shut with crust. Slowly, I forced them open, mind still bleary from the gas.

The gas. Kenneth. Amiri, where are they, where am I?

The thought swirled through my mind and I tried to move but was stopped short when I heard the sound of chains clinking and felt the resistance around my arms and legs. My blood went cold as I looked over to each limb to see cool, metal rings imprisoning them that were attached to the wall. My wings were unbound but the close proximity between myself and the wall gave them little room to move. I strained my head to look around, only to see that there was no one else there with me. I seemed to be in the back of a cave. Off to my right was a tunnel and I could see a few feeble rays of sunlight poking around the curve in the cave walls. Other than that, the only other adornment to accompany me in the cave were a row of similar chains attached to the walls. I struggled against the chains in vain, letting out a frustrated cry when I realized I couldn't get out of them. Chained again, only this time it seemed worse.

I heard the soft sound of someone approaching and grew quiet, heart racing nervously as they drew near. Who would bring me here and why? More importantly, how? I had been in the middle of the Aerie, no one should have been able to come in and take me from there.

A lone figure stepped around the curve in the wall and paused to look at me. I stared back, trying to see if I could recognize them. The cave was dark and the halo of weak light around their head obscured their face, but for some reason, I felt as though I knew the person. All I could tell was that it was a female pavox who stood rigidly, regarding me carefully.

After a few long seconds of looking me over, they approached slowly with a cruel expression.

I recoiled in shock when I recognized the Skavlieu of the Kraaigh, Tafari. Her lips twitched up in a malicious smile as she continued to gaze at me.

"We meet again, Araceli. Is your mind clearing? That gas can do quite a number on a person who is exposed to it for too long."

"Tafari, what are you doing here? Why am I chained to this wall?"

"I suppose he wanted you for a bartering system. Either that or he just wanted to get you out of the picture. I may not agree with his methods but you can't ignore the genius in it." She gave me a thoughtful look before shrugging to a thought she did not seemed inclined to share.