Chapter 32

AN: Warning, there is a slightly graphic scene part way through the chapter.

Previously in Fledging: Aether, an energetic pavox takes Araceli and her friends on a grand tour of the pillar-esque islands and all they have to offer. They find that the festival of the first pavox, Veliu-onothu is almost here and everyone is getting ready for the festival. After their tour, Araceli is summoned by Arkell down to the gardens so that they may talk more. There, Araceli is forced to tell him her secret, that she cannot fly, inspiring a heated speech from her brother who expresses his horror and want to fight back against the injustice done to her. They talk about Araceli's friends and Amiri goes of with Akili, the Sildwaa of Arkell, for a flight. After Araceli returns to her room and friends, Amiri comes in with a letter for Raven, asking her to return to the Kundi Amani as fast as she can fly. Taking her leave, Raven flies out, hoping to take Kontar with her in the process. Alida is out for a walk and Araceli falls asleep while waiting for her as a storm begins to brew outside her windows........

Chapter 32

The next morning, I was woken by a flurry of activity outside the room where I was staying. I opened my eyes blearily and frowned at the door in confusion. I looked up at Amiri who was just waking up as well. He ruffled his feathers in annoyance and looked over to me with a questioning look.

Groggily, I jumped down from my perch and made my way to the door to see what was going on. Just as I made it to the doors, they flew open, revealing a stricken looking Kenneth. Wide eyed, he stared at me with a look I could only describe as lost. Possibly depressed.

"What's happened, what's all the noise out here?" I asked, sleep leaving my body in a flash. I looked past Kenneth to see Kirym standing in the hallway, alert as he looked down the hallway. Two servants I did not know stood off to the side, whispering to the other and looking frightened.

"Araceli... I." Kenneth cleared his throat and I was shocked into silence when I saw that his eyes began to waver with unshed tears that threatened to spill over.

"Kenneth? What's wrong? What's happening?" I could feel my chest tightening for some unknown reason, wondering what could possibly have the air charged with so much tension. My mind ran through all the possibilities that could have happened.

"Was the capitol attacked?" I asked suddenly, thinking of my newly found family. There was no way I could lose one of them after just meeting them. I hadn't even talked to my father other than a cursory greeting.

"Not... not exactly. But there was-"

"Araceli!"

I looked up to see Arkell walking towards us briskly, a serious look on his face.

"Arkell, what's going on? Are... are our parents alright?"

"Yes, they are fine. Although they have been told the news and are enraged as any. Araceli, I am so sorry. I should never have allowed those... monsters into the city. We should have killed them on sight. They are never to be trusted."

"Arkell, you're not making any sense, what happened?"

"The beasts you trusted with your friendship have betrayed you in the most despicable way possible. I assure you that their actions will not go unpunished. I have a squadron searching for them as we speak. They will be brought to justice."

"Skies above! Somebody tell me what's going on!" I snapped, unable to take not knowing any longer. Something bad had happened and I seemed to be the only one not to know.