Chapter 33

Previously on Fledging: Araceli wakes up to find that the Kingdom has been under attack by an apparent inside work, resulting in the death of Alida. Arkell claims that it was Dakarai and Ora who were behind the attack but both Kenneth and Araceli find that hard to believe.

I always love comments!!! and every vote helps as well! Thanks and enjoy!

Chapter 33

"Araceli, darling. I want to give you my deepest condolences for the atrocity that has befallen your friend. How are you faring?"

I took a deep breath and managed to give a light smile to Thema who was approaching me in a quick, yet elegant pace as she came over to envelop me in her arms and wings.

"As well as is to be expected I suppose," I replied lightly, following her example in speaking our language while allowing myself to be soothed by her warm embrace. Her scent was surprisingly relaxing and I could feel some of my negativity melt away.

The past two days I had been a wreck, crying in my room. I only allowed Kenneth in, along with Kirym and Amiri of course. Kari had come by the first day with some food and her condolences as well which I was ashamed to remember brought new tears and sobbing for me. She had apologized and quickly left me to my small pity party where I cried myself to sleep for the next couple of hours.

"Of course, you are so strong to be here tonight. Isn't she dear?" My mother pulled away and I saw her mate, my father, come up behind us who looked at me with sadness in his eyes.

"I don't believe I told you when we last met, but Koisar, my husband, was rendered mute by a battle many years ago. We can still communicate through gestures we have come up with together. However our Sildwaa have helped many times in communication." I looked to Koisar's shoulder and saw a barn owl perched on it, regarding Amiri and I with curiosity. I looked at it in surprise. Instead of the white and brown plumage that was normal for barn owls, this one had black feathers that were dotted with small, gray specks.

"Oh right, Arkell told me the other day. That is unfortunate, although I'm glad you seem to make it work so well." Turning to the dark winged pavox who was looking at me closely, I bowed low.

"I am glad to meet you. I apologize for not speaking to you when we first met, I suppose this was all so new for me, it's still taking some getting used to now."

Koisar smiled and approached me as he laid a gentle hand on my face. I barely held back a jump of surprise but I relaxed quickly and nodded to him. The owl atop his shoulder began rotating his head and made a few gentle rasps at Amiri.

I am told your father wishes to say that he is glad to finally meet his lost daughter. He also sends his condolences for Alida. Amiri told me quietly, his words sounding strangely stiff on Alida's name.

I turned to look at him, but Amiri turned his head all the way around and refused to look at me. Owls couldn't cry but if they could, I am sure that he would have at least had tears in his eyes.

"Thank you, despite all that has happened, I am glad to finally meet my real Father as well."

Koisar smiled and took his hand away as he nodded once more.

"I know this may not be the right time to discuss such things, but I would like to give you the next few days, before the service for your young friend, to think about what you would like your life to be like while here." Thema announced, claiming the spotlight again easily enough. "When you first came, I had a grand idea of announcing you as our heir, being our firstborn female hatchling. However, I realized that it was presumptuous of me to expect such a young one who has not grown up being prepared for such an undertaking, would slip into the role easily or even willingly. If you wish to stay and simply be a part of our family, I will of course be delighted with that. However, if you wish to leave Veiliegstad, we will understand but I do hope that you will consider staying with us if nothing else. I am sure you have plenty of useful information that we will be able to put to use about what those pavox on the mainland are going through so that we are more aware of the situation at hand. You could be part of the High court if you wish, anything you want, my dear."