Chapter 6

Chapter 6:

                The trip back to the manor was one of the longest I had ever taken.  Kenneth hadn’t stopped for Alida and I to fully reunite, he only gestured for me to follow him as he walked past where I stood, handing me the bags of items that he had bought that day to me along to me.

During our walk back, Kenneth seemed to make sure that he stood between me and Alida.   I had tried to catch up to them and walk beside my friend but Kenneth only shook his head and sped up with Alida.  She had glanced back towards me a few times, her eyes bright at seeing her old friend again but guarded as she still seemed to be processing all that had happened, my mind was certainly still reeling from it all.

So I followed the two at a small distance, wondering what it was that Kenneth was saying to Alida in his hushed tone.

                I was so caught up in my own thoughts that I barely realized that we had returned back to the manor.  Quickly, I inclined my head to the sky and felt a small amount of relief, it seemed that we were just on time; I sighed in relief.

Up ahead, I saw the master coming towards us with a quizzical smile on his face for his nephew.

                “Kenneth! Welcome home!”

                “Thank you Uncle.”

                “How did your day go?” He asked, flicking his gaze towards Alida for a moment.

                “It went just fine, I got everything I needed; thank you for having a servant show me around the town for a day Uncle.”

I flinched at his offhanded comment about the “servant”, he really hadn’t been joking when he said he would change.  Master glanced back at me, my arms laden with all of his bagged purchases.  His eyes glinted mischievously at me as I averted my own eyes from his gaze.

                “You are quite welcome.”  He paused, allowing his eyes to rake across Alida in a critical manner.  “I see you made quite an expensive purchase, how did this come about?”

                “I felt that I could have use of one on my journey back in a few days, I seem to have collected quite a bit more things, and if last year was any indication, I feel that I am about to acquire even more.”

                “Smart thinking boy, maybe you can inherit my job someday,” Master said stroking his stubble covered chin thoughtfully as he gazed at his nephew.  Kenneth however only replied with a shrug, nothing more.

                “Well enough of that, follow me, I have a surprise for you.”

                “Of course you do,” Kenneth said with a more genuine smile.  They were about to depart when the master stopped and glanced back at me.

                “Kyra, you may go up to the house and give my nephew’s purchases to the house maid to put in his room.  Then you will help the others serve in half of an hour, is that clear?”

                “Yes sir.”

                “Good, get going.”

I hesitated, glancing over at Alida who was watching me carefully.

                “Is there a problem Kyra?” the master’s voice asked gruffly.

                “Shall I take... A... I mean Kenneth’s.... other purchase with me as well?” I fumbled over the words.

                “No.  I shall have someone else take her to one of the empty pavox rooms and tell her what is expected of her as a visiting slave,” he turned his attention on Alida again, still with the same mocking smile.   She turned her attention to him as well, both of them sizing the other up, figuring what the other was about.