A Morning Like Any Other

His throat was like sandpaper, as his right hand moved up to tame his berserk hair clinging to his forehead - that glistened with beads of perspiration. He had undoubtedly succumbed to the excruciating strain of the training – to keep his Exilium skills in check. The sore muscles jabbed at his consciousness like needles, but he had to rise, and not let the comfort of the warm brocades lull him to a sweet slumber again.

Not again.

Keefe was going to conquer that lethargy and get back up, and so he did. In hopes of facing the nacreous mother-of-pearl walls and perhaps squinting for a painful second, he kept his eyelids glued together for few more gracious moments – even after he shifted to a sitting position. As he coerced himself to open the eyes that were so afraid of facing the dark reality of the glittering life, he was taken aback.

"Err-" was all he could muster when he realized that his once-too-bright-to-look-at room had morphed itself into a paler and tidier version. It was not the Shores of Solace – that much, he could figure out for himself. The cerulean hints to the cushions metamorphosed into a dark bottle-green, the circular windows that faced the shores were now larger ones overlooking-

Keefe could not help his curiosity as he moved himself off the mattress, traipsed across the emerald-gilded carpet and threw him against the window panes that overlooked... err-

"Pretty sure, I did NOT get a fair share of sleep! If I had then, I would've had to welcome the sight of Lord Pretentious and not a 20 storied tower view!" He mumbled through a hysterical batch of laughter as he watched himself from the gleaming window facing tiny dots lined across a silver ribbon – which he later deduced as buildings and cabins on the banks of a serpentine brook.

And about the 20 storied tower view... Why was he in a tower, to begin with? He looked closer and saw fine rose gold-tinted turrets and domes tracing along the sides of the 'tower'.

Before even trying to process whatever sick predicament he was pulled into, he dashed towards the large onyx doors. Keefe's frail-from-panic fingers sprawled across the doorknob, with a painful endeavor of pushing it down and letting the doorway open to him. He was about to sprint out, only for his victory to clarification cut short as a bulky figure barricaded his way. In fact, a rather familiar figure...

She stood proud, yet dutiful – donning a bright ivory coat that reached till her knees. Golden runes were etched over her turtleneck collar. Her chin-length hair which was usually infamous for its ultra-bright color choices was now left fully combed and straightened, showing a few platinum highlights. The black tattoos that usually stood out were noticeably absent as well. Instead of looking like a stylish rebel, she looked more like a sophisticated noble – something that made Keefe's insides squirm.

"Ro?"

A hint of confusion and recognition flashed on Ro's face, but she refused to be sidetracked. With a bow (that raised Keefe's eyebrows a little-more-than sky-high), Ro said, "A very good morning, Your Highness. I was informed that the Queen has requested your presence in the throne room – as soon as possible if you may."

The words hung in the air, and Keefe didn't know what to do with the 'Your Highness' and 'Queen' bits, so he resigned to a snort.

"Your Highness to me, indeed, Ro! I am not really sure what prank you're playing on my poor tired self, but how did you manage the different settings? The location is top notch, by the way!"

After a long silence, Ro cast a worried glance at him (It wasn't often that the warrior princess here would act worried about him, and it gave him chills), muttering, "Prince Keefe, do you feel alright? Should I call the royal physician or something?"

"Or something! Now, now, it seemed like a cool joke the way it started, but now, it is anything but funny!" Keefe exclaimed though he kept the smile plastered onto his face.

"I- I am not sure I understand?" Ro phrased it as a tentative question, almost looking afraid of Keefe.

Keefe huffed.

First, he woke up to a heart attack, finding himself locked in a tower like Rapunzel. Second, Ro obviously did something about her looks – which Keefe thought, he had no business pointing out. And then, finally, they were role playing as royals! Could this day get any weirder?

"Look Ro, whatever this is, needs to stop, for all seriousness! And funny, because I am saying that!" Keefe's breathing now came labored, due to the tension building up.

Did his friends join hands to freak him out (because heavens, are they succeeding)?

Was Foster in on this as well?

Did she, perhaps, manifest a new ability of making illusions?

For the hundredth time, what was going on?

Keefe decided to get a read of Ro's emotions. His incredible empathy was the best weapon in his arsenal when it came to these things. He acted as if he lost his footing and Ro (as predicted) helped him, her gloved hands holding Keefe's arms to support him.

And the emotions came swirling into his soul.

Fear.

Impatience.

Skepticism.

Suspicion.

And worry.

But that was it. There was no happiness at making a light-hearted joke. Or the pride at making a fool out of Keefe. None of those emotions that Keefe had hoped to read. It all meant that, this was real.

 All of it.

Hello there! So, without further adieu, I present to you the promised KotLC royalty AU!

Needless to say, I am a devoted 'Keeper of the lost cities' fan and a die-hard Sokeefe shipper (Yes, literally every person who has read KotLC says the same, I know). This idea of twisting and twirling the KotLC reality has inspired me to retell the tale with a dash of 'royalty' in it. Yes, things would be similar but also drastically different. The characters you think you are well-acquainted with might react in a way that will make you want to question your sanity – after all, this is an alternate universe we are talking about, people!

That's it, from me today, and I hope you enjoy the read ahead! And, do remember to let me know what you think in the comments!