5. The Perils of Free Samples

Saturday morning, Riley fell asleep in the little plastic chair as Sabina set up the new signage. When she turned around to get their opinion, the sight of their head flopped back, mouth hanging open, made her snort. She let them sleep. It had been a long week. Besides, she was going to start dreading her decision to go to the bonfire if they kept talking about it.

She surveyed her work. The product list added a professional touch, and she'd set up free samples under Christina's pretty sign, chunks of honey lollipop in small paper cups for today; next week she'd do honey and crackers. Once the big sign was finished, their whole aesthetic would be transformed.

Next door at Blue Moon Kombucha, a woman with long beachy waves and a broad hat paused to take a photo in front of the twee cottagecore display. That was what Sabina needed. If social media influencers could be convinced her stall was worth a selfie, then they would do all the promo for her. She would win Best Vendor for sure.

An ominous feeling swept over her, and she turned to see Otis approaching.

Popping raspberries into his mouth, he looked over her stand. "Cute signs," he said, in a tone like a kindergarten teacher praising a student's art. "If this is the competition, I'm not worried at all."

"We're just getting started. Your stall isn't any busier," she pointed out, bristling.

He laughed. "It's early. Come by later if you wanna see how the pros do it."

As he strolled back to his own stand, she pushed the product list a little further left, then back again to the right. She was confident in her plan. He wasn't going to get under her skin.

The samples drew more people to their table, but as the sun crept up the hot blue sky it became clear that the strategy wasn't as effective as she had hoped. Kids grabbed the cups with greedy hands, and she put out more with a smile. When each of their families walked on by without making a purchase, she could feel her cheeks beginning to ache.

Meanwhile, down the lane, Verger Orchards began to collect crowds buzzing like bees in a field of clover. By the time the last of the nighttime chill had burnt off and Sabina had begun to sweat in her floral overall shorts, the Vergers had a line two stalls long. The queue completely blocked Marie's jewelry across the way.

"Do you see that?" she said to Riley. "Maybe Otis wasn't just messing with me. What do you think they're doing?"

They shaded their eyes against the sun. "Something fun, probably. Want me to check it out?"

"I'll do it," she said quickly. "Can you watch the stall?"

Riley dropped her a wink, which was frankly ridiculous. She was just a little uneasy about Otis them inviting to the bonfire and didn't need to let the two of them have any more opportunities to talk behind her back.

As she marched down the lane, she realized she was adjusting her ponytail and forced herself to stop.

The crowd around the stand was mostly adults and teens. Sabina pressed onto her tiptoes but couldn't see over their heads. When she tried to push through, she found herself jostled between taller shoulders. Someone sneered at her.

"Stop cutting."

"Can you tell me what's going on?"

"They're giving out free samples."

Of course they had copied her plan. Typical Vergers. "Samples of what?"

"If you want one you gotta get in line."

Her free samples had only attracted children, and not nearly as many people as this. What on earth could they be giving away? It couldn't be fruit.

She needed to know what she was up against. With a huff, she walked to the back of the line, shrugging an apology at Riley.