34. The Intervention

How easy it had been to miss Mel when Sabina thought she was never going to see her again. It had only taken a few days for her to forget how infuriating she could be.

"Started without you?" She took off her own sunglasses to give her squint more power, but instead of stern, her voice sounded small. "What are you even doing here? I thought you'd gone home."

"I know," Mel said, her smile dimming a little.

Feelings rushed through Sabina faster than she could identify them. Humiliation? Anger? Mel had let her think she'd left High Valley without even saying goodbye, and yet the feeling that finally settled was relief. She couldn't deny it. She was glad that Mel was still here.

"Look, you probably want to yell at me. I get it. But can we do that later?" Mel tilted her head towards their audience. Both families were staring at them, expressions caught in various shades of befuddlement or support (Christina wiggled her eyebrows so furiously they looked like caterpillars trying to crawl off her face). "Right now, we've got a feud to end, and I think I can help fill in some of the blanks. Did you know High Valley hoards all of its old documents in the town archives? I mean everything. It's honestly kinda scary. I bet they've got your medical records in there."

Mel was the reason she hadn't been able to make an appointment at the archives? Mel, who didn't care one fig about High Valley or the family feud?

Sabina gave Riley a hard look. They blinked at her innocently.

"I know you don't want my help," Mel added, slipping her hands into her pockets with a shrug. That smile still danced around her lips. "But I also know a few things about Verger family history that you probably don't, so I guess you'll have to deal with it."

Sabina felt her own lips twitching traitorously. She did need help. There was more to this feud than how it had started, and if Mel had found evidence that the other incidents had been similarly blown out of proportion, then maybe together they could build a case compelling enough to end this nonsense once and for all. Besides, maybe the Vergers would be more likely to listen to one of their own.

She lifted her chin. "Okay. Let's do this."

Mel came around the table, and before Sabina realized what was happening she'd been wrapped up in a tight hug, her hat knocked askew. The scent of her made Sabina's head buzz, and without meaning to she sank into the embrace. Mel pressed her lips close to Sabina's ear, the soft touch of her breath raising goosebumps down her arms. If she had apologized at that moment, Sabina would have melted into a puddle right there at her feet.

But she didn't apologize. Instead, she whispered, "You look hella cute today, babe."

Sabina blushed all the way down to her toes. "We are going to talk later," she said, pushing her away before she did something incredibly stupid like kiss Mel right there in front of everyone.

"If that's what you want." Mel gave her a smile that felt inappropriate in ways she couldn't explain.

Sabina resettled her hat, trying to muster her dignity, and together, they faced their families.

Joan looked uncertain now. Sabina remembered that she had been the one who approached Dad about renting the hives and felt the first spark of hope that this might actually work. "You're involved in this, too, Mel?" Joan asked, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Just call me Romeo. Or, wait, don't. That story had a really dumb ending, didn't it? If anyone dies over this, it's not my fault."

"I thought you had better things to worry about than our small-town nonsense," Otis said with a sniff.