16 | Nao-Zai

The sun beat down on Nao-Zai

The sun beat down on Nao-Zai. Him, along with two other creatures with snake heads and hairy legs of a bear, crouched under one of the arches holding one of the sky bridges up. They emerged from the underground tunnels from Shencai connecting to a sewer network underneath Dansarun a few hours ago and now, they're only looking to enter the Imperial City without anyone noticing.

Nao-Zai rubbed his arms, feeling strange without the comfort of his arm guard. In fact, in just a simple but scratchy overcoat with wide sleeves reaching his thighs, he felt widely exposed. His dark trousers tucked into white socks tied with a twine to keep his flat-soled shoes to his feet was just an awkward fashion statement he wouldn't want to try again. He missed his boots.

One of the snake people, or the pu-gurye, nodded at him, its frills unfurling with the rising tension. Nao-Zai remembered his name to be Ka-Ji, the soldier Gang Sen had introduced to him a few hours ago. Ka-Ji wasn't much of a talker. Nao-Zai could understand that though. Imagine having a long forked tongue curled at the base of one's mouth. It wasn't a pleasant experience if they had to unfurl it every time they spoke.

After exchanging quick nods, they tore through the road, keeping their hats over their faces and their weapons concealed underneath the tails of their overcoats.

On foot, the streets of the Imperial City seemed wider and more winding. Nao-Zai had lost the entire layout of the city after a few turns but the snake creatures tramped past shops and houses like they owned the place. A few gods dressed in simple layers who polished wood or rolled fish cake dough from the side of the road paid them no mind. Perhaps people dressed like pipers were common around here even if they had snake heads and furry feet? Maybe?

After a few more hours and with the sun setting, they reached the lip of the final wall encircling the five tall pagodas where the council of the gods ruling over Dansarun lived. As planned, Nao-Zai slammed the butt of his sword against a guard's neck and watched him crumple to the ground like a pile of stones. The other snake people did the same thing on the other guard. Being gods, the guards would wake up sooner or later so Nao-Zai dropped a sack of powdered blue jasmine leaves beside them.

After discussing it with Kai-Se one night after the trade summit, the prince agreed that the blue jasmine was in fact a narcotic and large amounts of the tea could lead to addiction and other nasty side effects. That's also where he learned that the leaves, when pounded to powder and inhaled through either steam or as was, would have a stronger effect and often lasted longer.

Kai-Se had chuckled upon revealing that information to him. "It's strange that Dansarun would want a direct trade with Xuijae with blue jasmine tea," he said. "It would earn them a good amount of money since it would surely get our people to be addicted to it."

Then, he took one look at Nao-Zai and shook his head. "I only drank one cup of the tea Governor Hanse offered," he said. "I actually enjoyed it because my thoughts quietened for a whole day after that. But, don't worry. I won't get addicted."