19 | Kai-Se

The brittle stone shattered, the sound echoing in Kai-Se's ears with a finality he couldn't withstand

The brittle stone shattered, the sound echoing in Kai-Se's ears with a finality he couldn't withstand. For a while, nothing happened. The gods stilled, faces frozen in confusion. Then, their smiles widened in amusement.

Just before Nishi could throw another snide threat, powerful winds ripped into the courtyard in a massive howl. The temperature dropped. It's like when winter rolled around in Xuijae. All around them, the commotion stopped to stare at the growing expanse of wind, swirling and swirling into a huge vortex a few paces from Kai-Se and Nao-Zai. His sleeves flapped against his arms in all the possible directions as he shielded his face with his arms and ducked to avoid the flying debris.

Light streaked across the sky and fractured into a thousand webs, almost like glass shattering. Then, the cracks howled in an unheavenly song as pieces of the sky fell towards the earth, tearing a huge, swirling void.

The gods had their necks craned to the sky. Nishi whipped towards Kai-Se, fists clenched and face beet red. "What have you done?" he screamed but his voice was lost in the howls of the winds spinning faster and faster. The god stepped forward, but before he could lunge at Kai-Se, his feet lifted off the ground, first a few inches, and as if a force was gripping him by the waist, he began whizzing closer and closer to the sky.

"What is this?" Nishi squirmed against the force leashing him. The other gods called his name and asked for help but even their leader couldn't do anything. Shaoryeong reaped what was due to it. It's only a matter of time.

A strangled hiss rang from Nishi. Kai-Se already has to look up to the god's form hovering a few feet from the ground. The god continued edging away from the courtyard. "A mere mortal like you couldn't possibly control the gates!" Nishi shrieked. His spectacles slipped from his face and shattered upon impact with a flimsy sound against the cobblestones. "You will die a painful death trying to play with forces you do not understand, Najizaki Kai-Se!"

Kai-Se grinned. Damn his death and forces he knew nothing about. He had to get Nao-Zai out of here and back to the Yomaura clan. He had to avenge An-Ri. He had to save Xuijae from Dansarun's wrath. If it boils down to his death, then so be it.

He raised his hands and poured the last of his magic towards the gate. Light flashed from his fingertips and sped for the void. He willed it to get the gods out of here faster and it followed. The gods screamed and writhed against Shaoryeong's hold. Their fading shrieks were enough to pacify Kai-Se's anger for the years to come.

Then, like a child rearing for a breath after crying the whole night, the winds stilled. The gods disappeared into the gate, their absence bringing about an unprecedented silence. Then, the vortex spun anew. It whirled and buckled.

A heavy weight pressed against Kai-Se, throwing him out of balance. His limbs refused to obey him, instead staying where they are as if they've got no energy left. A shadow sped over him and he had to duck before a chunk off the legs of one of the sky bridges hit him at the back of the head on its way to the vortex.