19 - Another Time

The ministry was bustling when Harry and Ron entered the foyer. It had changed over the past couple of years. Kingsley had begun a push toward inclusion and international relations, which had spurred a change of design within the ministry. Harry led the way through the crowd and up to the elevators, pushing past a group of young witches who were waiting in line for their international travel passports.

"Morning Potter, Weasley," grumbled the stout man behind the passport booth. "Haven't seen you two in a spell."

"Morning Grusnik. We've been on a job. Auror business, you know how it is," Harry replied, shooting Grusnik a slim smile.

"Hah! I'd rather stick to this, thank you, left all that behind after that war. Don't you go making me relive it, boy."

It was true. Grusnik had been an auror for eleven years but had suffered a bad injury during the war. After that, he had asked to be transferred to another department, something less risky.

"Well, gentlemen, I'll be seeing you." He tipped his hat to Harry and Ron as they passed and turned back to the line.

"Alright, who's next? Please have your wand and identification ready before approaching the booth."

Ron gave Grusnik a glance over his shoulder and leaned toward Harry, "You reckon we'll turn out like old Grusnik after all this?"

Harry grinned. "Hey, it wouldn't be the worst outcome. He's happy, isn't he?"

"Yeah, but completely bald, and he's missing a... you know..." Ron gave Harry a look that suggested that he did indeed know what Grusnik was missing.

"He seems to get on fine without it." Harry hid his laughter and ushered Ron into the lift at the end of the hall.

There was a soft chime, and then a voice echoed throughout the lift.

Welcome to the ministry of the magic lift system. Please clearly announce the level you wish to visit today.

"Level Two," Harry announced to the lift.

"You think 'Mione's going to stay mad?" Ron asked, leaning against the left wall of the lift as it shifted into motion.

"No. She'll pretend to be, though. You know she was very worried for you."

"Hmmph."

They lapsed into silence, both reliving their strange day. The lift chimed once more, and the gates opened, Level Two, Department of Magical Law Enforcement, including the Improper Use of Magic Office, Auror Headquarters, and Wizengamot.

Harry and Ron got out and made their way down the corridor. This one was busier memo flew passed Ron's left ear, though he knew it would pass by he dodged to the right to avoid it.

"I miss the owls. These magic memos are a menace."

Ron had taken this stance ever since he'd gotten stuck in a lift with a swarm of them. He hadn't been the same since. Harry smiled to himself but chose not to make light of Ron's trauma.

"There you are," came Gawain's gruff voice from the end of the hall. "Where have you two been? I was beginning to worry that I would need to send out a search party." He chuckled, but the smile he gave didn't quite reach his eyes.

Harry gave the glimpse of a smile before gesturing for Gawain to follow Ron and himself into a more private location.

"There's been a development in the Malfoy case," Harry said, led the way into his office. After the others had entered, he shut the door firmly behind them.