05 - Friend or Foe

Draco sat up, careful not to disturb Astoria, who slept on his shoulder. He had just heard a noise from above, voices. He was sure of it. He squinted toward the entrance to the cellar, wishing, not for the first time, that he had his wand. There was arguing for sure now and then footsteps heading for the cellar. He could see his mother and father's silhouettes to his right, alert and wary. They too were gazing at the doorway.

Astoria groaned, "What's happening?" she slowly sat up, adjusting herself into a composed position.

"Not sure. Someone's up there. They seem to be arguing." Draco said under his breath.

There was a bang and two shouts, intruders?

Then the sound of someone struggling to unlock the door, "Alohamora!" There was a blinding light and then the sound of a door opening,

"Lumos"

The light intensified blocking the figure from view. Draco faintly recognized the voice, though he couldn't place where from. Then the figure stepped forward,

"Are you alright?"

It was a woman's voice, and as Draco's eyes adjusted he was able to make her out. She had thick curls, tied back in a severe bun and wore robes of silver, her face, to his surprise was familiar to him. Her caramel eyes met his and for a moment he was unsure if he was actually seeing her.

"Granger?" he croaked, Astoria, who was clutching his sleeve tightly, made a squeak of recognition. Behind him his parents stayed silent, eyes trained on the girl they had tortured three years earlier.

"Yes. We need to go now. I stunned the two upstairs but I'm not sure how long it'll stick. There's bound to be more of them." Hermione said, coming closer to the others, "I'm assuming none of you have your wands?"

Astoria nodded.

"They took them when they took us."

"How did you find us?" Draco asked, still processing the fact that she was here. "Hang on? You're not an Auror are you?" Just because they were on the lamb, didn't mean he wasn't able to read the Prophet. He had been sure she was working in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. He had seen her plastered on the front of the paper three weeks earlier announcing her latest house elf legislation.

Hermione flustered by the unexpected turn in events replied as quickly as possible,

"No. Not in the strict sense. We don't have time to discuss it, let's go." She gestured for them to stand up and follow her out of the basement. They obeyed without protest, though both Lucius and Narcissa skirted Hermione with uncomfortable looks of guilt. Hermione led them with her wand arm outstretched, alert for foe in their path. As they exited the basement she murmured "Nox." and then "Expecto Patronum."

"I've let the Ministry know I've found you. I'm going to take you to one of our safe houses." Hermione added, loud enough for them to hear her.

"Did you see the last one we occupied?" Narcissa asked with incredulity.

"I did. In fact, I was the one who found it." Hermione was now heading up the stairs, she paused at the top and glanced around the room. The two kidnappers lay prone on the carpet, firmly held in a full body bind curse.

"Very nice," Draco said under his breath.

Taken aback by the compliment Hermione smirked slightly, but she stayed silent.

As they got to the top of the steps Draco realized why the cellar had seemed so familiar. He glanced over at his parents, both looked uncomfortable but not shocked by their location, Lucius must have told Narcissa when he had come back down with Astoria.

Draco eyed the chandelier above them and the memory of the last couple of months within Malfoy Manor crossed his consciousness. He had been trying to forget it all, Charity Burbage, Hermione's torture, the Dark Lord taking control of their house.

They crossed the room and Hermione ushered them through into the long dining hall and then the kitchen. When they finally got outside, she breathed a sigh of relief.

"I don't believe we can apparate within the manor grounds," She pointed down the path to the waiting front gate, "We'll have to go through there."

She glanced around the grounds, making sure they weren't being watched, then she gestured for them to follow her lead. They made it to the gate without issue, but as they reached it there was a shout and a streak of red passed by Hermione's head. She ducked out of the way.

"Get behind me!" she shouted to the others, "and get the gate," she added over her shoulder to Draco. The figure who had fired at her was now hiding against the side of the house. She backed up slowly, searching for others.

"Stupefy!"

The figure dodged her spell and another figure appeared to their left.

"They've set off an alarm I think." Hermione said, "Protego!"

They got to the gate and Draco ushered them through, Hermione shut it behind them and glanced around the elegant street beyond. Three figures appeared down the lane, and then two more on their other side. They're not ministry.

Hermione scanned the street, "Grab on," she said.

"Granger," Draco said, hesitantly. "You know how dangerous sidelong apparition is with multiple people." He looked apprehensive.

"Believe me I'm aware. I've also done it several times." She said, feeling slightly smug due to the impressed look that flittered across Draco's features. Without another word, but still looking slightly hesitant, he extended his hand to her and gestured for Astoria to grab his. Hermione glanced at Lucius and Narcissa, who looked quite uncomfortable still.

"Do you want to die here?" Hermione asked the Malfoy's made their decision, knowing Hermione's words to be truth. Narcissa grasped Hermione's hand tightly and Lucius hers.

There was another shout and a jet of red light, Hermione turned on the spot, hoping against hope that they would reach their destination in one piece. Destination, Determination, Deliberation.

Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter please vote, comment, and share!

All rights, references and characters from Harry Potter belong to J.K.Rowling.