15 - The Raven

Pansy lead them farther into the forest, following the path until it reached a small clearing. Draco trailed along beside her, keeping his eyes on the path ahead and off Hermione who was still hovering just ahead of them bound in thick ropes.

Draco felt sick, and it took all his concentration to keep his mind on playing Death Eater. Part of him was glad at how quickly Hermione had bought his act and half disappointed in her lack of faith in him. It fit though. It wasn't as if he had ever done anything to earn her trust. His gaze flickered unbidden to her face, she was frozen in place, muted, and bound, and she still looked as if she could kill him at any moment.

Pansy stopped a few feet ahead she gestured at one of her hooded minions.

"Go. Tell them we're here."

The man disappeared into the clearing leaving Draco and Pansy with two more of the silent guards and of course Hermione. Pansy continued into the clearing, she glanced at Hermione and with a cruel sneer plastered across her face, she said, "She will be pleased that I've captured the Mudblood. She has been a thorn in our sides for far too long."

Draco stayed silent following in Pansy's footsteps cautiously. She led him into a dimly lit campground. Orbs of light drifted aimlessly around, hovering just above the collection of exotic tents. Draco recognized this as a sort of makeshift base and found it highly uncomfortable to walk through.

Hooded figures lurked on all sides, peering at the procession with distrust. He glanced at one of the figures, a tall man with an ivory mask.

"Recognize these Draco?" Pansy asked. "They're a bit of a nod to our previous Lord. Nothing instills obedience like fear."

Draco glanced away from the ivory mask and focused his attention on Pansy.

"Who is your Master?" He asked.

"You'll find out shortly. Come on, in here." Pansy lifted the flap of the central tent approximately equal to a small circus tent in scale. Draco did as he was told, entering the space with apprehension.

Pansy followed him in, guiding Hermione's frozen form after her.

"Whoopsie!" Pansy had let Hermione's head hit the tent supports. "Careful where you're going."

Draco glanced around. His skin crawled. He kept his composure but his eyes scanned the room anxiously. At the centre of the room sat a hooded figure, she wore a mark with a large curved beak and, slender slit-like eye holes. Intricately carved feathers lined the face. Her robes were emerald and laced in silver. In her left hand, she held her wand and in her right a thin silver chain.

Bound with the thin magical chain, Ron looked much more subdued. Draco couldn't help feeling a slight twinge of malice at the downtrodden Auror.

Ron glanced at Draco and then at Hermione behind him and began to struggle, shouting what Draco suspected were obscenities at him soundlessly. Clearly, he believed that his suspicions in regard to Draco had been correct. They had placed Silencio on him. Making it impossible for him to make a sound.

"Welcome, Draco Malfoy. I am thoroughly delighted to find you among us. I have been so looking forward to our introduction," The lady purred. Her voice was bold and syrupy with a slight European accent. Something about it seemed familiar, but he wasn't entirely able to pinpoint its origin and as he could make out none of her features behind the mask or under her cloak, he was forced to continue with no prior knowledge.

"and you've brought me a gift. Very good." The woman beckoned for Pansy to approach and whispered in her ear. Pansy nodded and guided Hermione to her master's side.

"Who are you?" Draco asked, careful to keep his tone inquisitive and calm.

The Raven gazed at Draco through the slights of her mask. Her eyes were shadows leaving Draco with breadcrumbs as to her identity.

"I am the Raven. Bringer of balance. Keeper of truths."

Draco kept his features impassive.

"What sort of truths?"

"The weak must be protected, magic should be celebrated and shared, but Muggles and Mudbloods, like this one," she gestured at Hermione, "should be lead. They are not gifted and should not be granted the same level of leadership."

Rage flickered in Hermione's eyes and he could hear her fighting the Night Whispers words.

"So you're the Dark Lord reborn?" Draco asked, once again feigning excitement.

"In a way. He is long gone but yet his legacy remains." She gestured to Hermione and Ron, "I am merely expanding on his platform. He was foolish, we all knew it. Scared of death, connection, love. I know better. I have learned of love, connection, how to conquer death, though I have yet to act upon that knowledge. I am on a quest for balance and you are the key to my success."

Draco looked perplexed, this time it was a genuine emotion.

"How so."

"You've brought me the blood traitor and the Mudblood. Soon Potter will follow, and the plan will fall into place. His blood has touched the Dark Lords and his knowledge of my prize is of extreme value to me."

"The Elder Wand."

She gave a small chuckle.

"Very astute. I am indeed searching for knowledge of the Elder Wand."

Out of the corner of his eye, Draco saw Hermione twitch. He quickly glanced away.

"And what makes you think Potter knows where we are?"

The Raven laughed.

"He chose this location. Or rather his memories brought us here." She gestured to a large basin situated on her left. It was solid marble, cut with an intricate rose motif. The surface swirled with silver liquid flashing with what appeared to be images. Draco took a step forward, glancing into the shimmering pool.

"A pensive?" He asked.

"Indeed. And those are Potter's own thoughts."

"How did you get them?" Draco mused.

"Never-you-mind." She gestured for him to approach the basin. Draco did so, apprehensively eyeing the memory that swam before him.

Soft sunlight danced through a treed wood. A tousled-haired young man frantically dug in a sack for something. Silently a young woman, Hermione, yelled for him to hurry up, an extremely ill-looking Ron was bleeding out in her arms. Tears ran down her cheeks and finally, she pushed Harry aside summoning the small bottle, essence of dittany into her trembling fingers.

The memory shifted scenes.

A glowing silvery shape led the way to an icy pool. Harry went to his knees at the edge, glancing into the frozen water. He brushed away loose snow, breaking through the ice with determination Harry stripped and dived into the water, bare excluding the large silver locket dangling against his chest.

Draco stepped back, embarrassed at the private nature of this memory. He glanced back at the woman.

"How did you get these?" he asked again.

"That's my secret to keep Draco," the Raven said, "Potter will know how to find us. I left him something unmistakable."