09 - The Meaning Of It All

Hermione was sitting alone in her room when Harry and Ron apparated onto the step. She jumped to her feet at the sound of the front door slamming.

"Hermione?" Harry's voice echoed up to the third floor, ricocheting off the narrow banister.

"I'm up here, one second." Hermione, who had been studying a book on Wizarding Laws of 1700s to 1900s, gently lay the book back on her bed. Then she exited the room and strode down the stairs.

"They're back?" Draco was standing on the second-floor landing. As he said this, he took in her outfit. Hermione felt horror as she too glanced down, she had forgotten, for once, her present company, she wore a set of striped pyjama pants and a tightly fitted spaghetti strap top. Too late to cover herself, Hermione chose to feign confidence and ignore her discomfort.

"Yes, seems so. Hopefully, with information." She sped past him. After last night, she was definitely unsure how to talk to Draco. They had never been on speaking terms before. He had been a complete ass at Hogwarts and though she knew he had changed, she could see it in his eyes and posture, she wasn't sure she could forgive and forget so quickly, and after the other night, she felt a strange surge of emotion toward him... one she wasn't exactly sure how to deal with.

"Potter's back?" Astoria stepped out of the room and joined her husband, Hermione nodded at her, feeling even more guilty now. Astoria had her hair down, it fell in a sleek dark brown sheet to just below her shoulder blades. She was dressed much more appropriately, in a soft grey-blue robe, which was cinched with a silver sash. In pureblood manner, she rarely wore muggle clothing. She too glanced at Hermione's clothing, her look was slightly less appreciate and filled with a lot less amusement, however. Hermione sped past down to the front hall, trying to hide her embarrassment. How had she allowed herself to get so comfortable!

Ron and Harry waited for her, both looking unrested and worried. Ron too gave her a looking over. She shot him a withering look, and he immediately looked away.

"We found something," Harry said. "How have things been here? No sign of Death Eaters yet?"

"Not that I've seen," Hermione said, guiding them to the kitchen. "Tea?"

"Yes, thank you," Harry said. Ron nodded. "Please."

"What's Luna doing out front?" Hermione asked, "As far as I've heard she's still with the Quibbler and not an Auror."

Ron looked slightly paler and glanced at Harry, waiting for his response.

"We couldn't find anyone at such short notice. We thought she would work in a pinch and she agreed." Harry said with a shrug. "She doesn't know why she's on the lookout. Just that we needed her to watch Grimmauld Place."

"I guess that's good," Hermione said, pausing. "Why don't you invite her in? Seems only fair that you let her in on what's happening."

"It's probably best if we keep her out of it. I mean she isn't an Auror." Ron said hastily.

"Neither am I. We were both in the DA, Ron. Give Luna some credit. She can keep a secret." Hermione said.

"I agree with Hermione, Luna should know what's going on, no matter how much I hate the idea of getting her involved any further. She's already involved and it would be better if she knew the facts. We'll have to tell Gawain that she's been let in on this matter though." Harry said.

Hermione put the teakettle on and came to join Harry and Ron.

"Should I call the Malfoy's?" Hermione asked, edging toward the door.

"Better wait, we can fill them and Luna in after we talk," Harry said, gesturing for Hermione to sit at the table. She obliged.

"So what did you find at the manor?" She asked.