Chapter 1- The first talk

1:13 am, August 27, 2014. Location: Burns family firehouse.

Narrator's POV:

It was midnight at the firehouse. Everyone was asleep. Well, almost everyone. There were still two life forms awake in the dead of night. Cody Burns and Heatwave Firefly. Heatwave was staring at a picture near his berth, bed, in Earth terms. Heatwave was sitting on his berth, closely looking at the picture of him and someone else. Things have been shaky lately. He hasn't been getting enough sleep, he has been more easily frustrated, he's been showing less emotion, etc. Everybody barely noticed. Well, the Burns family, mainly. Cody, however, noticed every bit of Heatwave's behavior. The bots did too, but for whatever reason, they didn't do anything about it. Cody was an empathetic person. He always put others before himself. He was always the first to notice when someone was sad or upset. Something was wrong with Heatwave, and Cody knew it.

Meanwhile, Heatwave was still staring at the picture he was holding. "Why?" He started. "Why did that happen? Why did it have to happen the way it did? You didn't deserve that. If anything, I did..." Little did he know, Cody was on the other side of the door, eavesdropping. Cody had woken up from a small nightmare and was wide awake because of it. He thought about checking on Heatwave, making sure he was okay.

He wasn't.

Heatwave gripped the picture tighter. He let a tear fall from his eye. Before he knew it, he was crying. Crying!

"Heatwave...?" Cody stated as Heatwave looked up with wide optics, immediately trying his best to wipe his tears. "You can't fool me, bud. I'm right here." Cody looked up at Heatwave with sad eyes. Heatwave looked down at him as he gave up trying to hide his tears. "What do you need, and why are you still up?" Heatwave said, slightly annoyed but still sad. "I woke up from a small nightmare, and couldn't fall back to sleep. I decided to check on you and make sure you're alright. I don't have school tomorrow, since it's a officially Saterday, so it's okay that I'm still up. But the same question goes back to you. Why are you still up?" Cody asked.

Heatwave just looked away as his tears continued. He didn't say anything. He didn't want to. Cody just climbed onto Heatwave's berth and hugged his hand. Heatwave looked at him and smiled. Small smile, but it was something. "I have better question. Why are you crying?" Cody questioned. Heatwave froze. He knew that question was coming, but he wasn't prepared for it. At all. He continued to be silent, continuing to try and dry the mix of energon and coolant dripping from his optics. Cody climbed up on Heatwave, and sat on his shoulder. "You can tell me anything. I won't be mad. And if you want me to keep it a secret, I will!" The 15 year old boy said.

Heatwave looked at his human friend. He still didn't say anything. Not yet. Cody then realized he should take this step by step, and had to be carful not make the fire bot uncomfortable. This was going to get out of hand if he forced Heatwave to answer. Cody decided that for now, he would just keep a close eye on Heatwave to make 100% sure that he'll be okay.

Why did you leave me?