Texan Heat pt 1

By adagiium on Ao3

Summary:
"Hey." A deep voice, with a hint of a southern drawl, says. Hector doesn't know where he is anymore. He's nervous, heart ringing in his ears.

There's a soft thump on the ground in front of him. The man is sitting in front of him. Hector is paralyzed with fear.

"It's rude not to say hello back, you know?" The man tells him. Although it did really sound like a question, as if he expected him to not know to say hello.
______________

Hector sits under the shade of the large oak tree. The roots digging into his thighs. The ground is hard under him, but he's pleased to be out of the sun.

A gentle breeze flows through the park. He closes his eyes and drifts off into a light sleep.

When he awakes it's dusk, the sun is starting to retreat. His legs are asleep. He shifts uncomfortably, the feeling of needles shoot up his legs as he does so.

He sits a little while longer, he doesn't know what time it is. He figures the spot he's in now is comfortable enough to sleep at for the night. His legs might fall asleep again, but no one has bothered him as of yet. He stays under the tree.

He allows his thoughts to wander as he sits, too awake now from his nap to sleep. He thinks of dumb things. Elephants riding tricycles, a kangaroo boxing, geckos singing instead of screaming. The silliness is not long lived as he thinks of much darker things. His current situation, being the main thing his thoughts are encompassed by.

He's cold, despite the breeze from early having dissipated. He shifts to grab the bag he normally has with him. It's not with him anymore. It was stolen the night before he remembers.

He pulls his arms inside of the sleeves of his dirty short sleeved shirt. He pulls his knees up to his chest as well.

He makes the decision to go to the homeless shelter tomorrow. For now he'd just be cold.

He places his chin on his knees and closes his eyes. He tries to go back to sleep. The sound of traffic on the road beyond is a comforting noise. The noise however isn't enough to lull him to sleep, he sits awake for a while longer.

There is voice in the distance and Hector hopes the don't come over to where he is. He can hear them getting closer, he pulls an arm from out of his shirt and clamps it over his mouth to stop any sounds he may make by mistake.

The person, a man, passes by him without incident. He lets out a sigh of relief. He might celebrated too soon as the man stops abruptly, clearly listening. Hector stops breathing. He isn't supposed to be here, but neither is this other person.

"Hey." A deep voice, with a hint of a southern drawl, says. Hector doesn't know where he is anymore. He's nervous, heart ringing in his ears.

There's a soft thump on the ground in front of him. The man is sitting in front of him. Hector is paralyzed with fear.

"It's rude not to say hello back, you know?" The man tells him. Although it did really sound like a question, as if he expected him to not know to say hello.

Hector pulls his other arm into his sleeve. He doesn't want to be caught off guard if something happens.

"Hi." Hector says to the man, he sounds like he's asking a question though. He clamps his mouth shut, teeth clicking audibly in the night.

"Name's Ricky, nice to meet ya'" Ricky tells him. Hector wonders briefly why this man is talking to him so late. He doesn't know him.

Hector hums, wondering if he should give a fake name. Ricky might not be this mans name anyway.

"Hey, you cold?" Hector is asked by Ricky before he can give the man his name. He can see vaguely that Ricky is moving, the ruffling of fabric is subtle.

He is given Ricky's jacket. He holds it in a clenched hand now. Upset that it was that evident he needed help. He looks down at the coat, not really being able to see it much through the dark anyway.

Ricky stands, and walks briskly, gone as quickly as he came. Hector tries to ignore his feelings of disdain for himself as he puts on the jacket. He was cold.

He wonders if the interaction was real after some time of sitting alone, it was weird. Why did he give him the jacket? Why did he just start a conversation?

He lays on the ground, tired now. He closes his eyes, the traffic finally lulls him to sleep.

Ha there's more then just zanley fanfics