In Between

In Between
By TaiJana on Ao3

(There was no summary)

________________________________

His name is Hector Zeroni, and he was the best digger in Camp Green Lake.

Well, he was. Four years ago.

Today, he lives with his mother in a duplex shared with his best friend, Stanley Yelnats. They met at Camp Green Lake. They also ran away from Camp Green Lake. Then they ran back into Camp Green Lake. Then, they freed all the other delinquents imprisoned at Camp Green Lake.

They’ve been inseparable ever since.

A lot, but also very little, has happened since then.

Around Hector, there seemed to be lots of things happening. Stanley was working to get them both into college, while also being an intern for a local police office.

Hector knew it was hard work, getting into college. He isn’t very good when it comes to writing, and colleges seem to care quite a bit about that. Hector was only really good at three things: math (Stanley never let him forget it), playing acoustic guitar, and staying out of trouble.

There were other kids from Camp Green Lake that had gotten so much further.

Theodore, who was then called Armpit, was involved in some massive scandal with a pop singer. Stanley actually managed to get back in touch with him once the media died down, and Theodore said he was moving in with another ex-camper, X-Ray, who was working on becoming a lawyer.

Another pair that keeps in touch with Hector and Stanley is Twitch and Magnet, who still go by their nicknames from camp. They live in a van and travel, selling flowers with their dog. They visit Hector every couple of weeks to catch up, sell some flowers to his and Stanley’s parents, and go out for lunch. Their life of constant travel really suits the both of them, and Stanley has said how happy he is for them.

Hector was happy too, but he didn’t really understand what that meant. It was good that Magnet was happy, he was always really nice to both him and Stanley, but when they talk about their lives together, Hector gets a feeling he’s never been able to describe.

It’s kind of silly, since he and Stanley have something very similar to that. They’re always together, having movie nights in Stanley’s room, which had been furnished for two, and being able to be in every class together.

But it felt different. He wants to ask the pair about it the next time they visit. A few more days, their last letter said.

Hector needs their help. Something has changed, and he knows it. He doesn’t know if Stanley knows it. A part of him hopes he doesn’t. It’s weird though, because he’s rarely been embarrassed around Stanley, and he’s never kept secrets from him.

He contemplates just never saying it to anyone, ever, and living his life with this change, hoping nobody notices it. Stanley told Hector before how that’s called “taking it to the grave.”

It sounds pretty accurate.

Hector wants to bury himself in a hole.

You see: Hector has feelings for his best friend of four years, Stanley Yelnats.