Chapter 6. I'll Be Your Wings

So if you have an alien fighting aliens, to save the planet (mainly Alex) and you're the son of a mega-gifted Dictator and the supreme Engineer...what happens?

Personally I always thought that the Jaegers relied too heavily on martial arts. Millennia of weapon invention and that's kinda of the backbone of your giant robotic capabilities? If pushed how would a mind like Guerin's adapt the technology? And Michael Guerin has alien tech at his disposal, Alex to worry about, his siblings and he's stuck with Deep Sky....

Note: As much as I want to just make it rosy for Malex, that's not how they operate. They have issues, I made more, so we're going to have to work for that wedding I'm afraid. There is a happy ending, with Malex reunited, but that's a couple of chapters away. For now there is Malex drama.

I also wanted to alter that dynamic. A.M has led a different life to Alex, giant robots included. He's had therapy and while that's not a cure-all, I think Greg's complete support and dealing with his internalized homophobia, self-loathing and child abuse, has put him in a better place. Michael is in a vastly different situation, trying to keep a lid on everything, so he's the more reluctant one in this universe.

But there will be a happy ending. For one Malex couple at least! :)

---=====================-----======================

In the emotional fallout of everything they had learned so far, Isobel called time for a few minutes.

Alex wanted to know if there had been any news and the fallout of the Alex Manes twin that was going to cause so many problems, if anyone in the wider community found out about it. Or worse one of their family, they hadn't managed to inform before this disaster struck.   Like Maria. Or Greg.

She surfaced from the memories of Alex Manes Version Two and his head, returning to the real world to check in with Max, in case he had found some kind of lead on Michael. Alex immediately agreed, desperate for news and hopeful they didn't have to continue with the memory search.

He didn't follow her to wakefulness yet intentionally.

Alex waited for her and scrolled through memories, alone to answer one question. He really couldn't help himself.  He had to know. What was his and Michael's relationship like in this world? It didn't take long though to see that there were a lot of Michael Guerin memories. Some of them were ridiculously similar to his own.

It had been a year since he had last seen Michael Guerin, and he had missed him.  Simple. He had spent a good decade of his life missing Guerin, but this last year had been harder. Missing your high school sweetheart was one thing, missing your actual adult ex you wanted more than anything was another thing entirely.

So the memories poured into him so easily.

Michael looking at him intently, affection and amusement in his eyes.

Michael asleep beside him, naked, warm and lovely in the dawn light.

Michael laughing at something A.M said, leaning a little away from his side, eyes dancing.

Michael's most powerful expression. That vulnerable, hopeful look. There were so many of them.

Michael handing him a fork, with a pointed look. A little table under the stars, a slanted porch roof just over their heads.

Michael beside a fire pit  offering a beer.

Kissing scarred skin, the same and different, golden-kissed and perfect.