Chapter 11. A Way Back

For the very first time since his initial deployment to Afghanistan, when being shot at was still a novel fear, panic entirely consumed Alex.

No. Oh no. This couldn't be happening. Michael was....is....has to be fine.

Alex had felt despair before, knew it like the enemy it is. He had known fear, the sickening burn of dread thanks to his father long before war, and had felt anguish enough times in the past - always over Michael Guerin - but nothing was ever like this.

This was Guerin, his Guerin.

If seeing the other Michael stabbed, keeling over from draining himself of energy or the horrifying pictures of him in Caulfield were bad enough....seeing his Guerin, his vibrant, beautiful soulmate sprawled, bleeding on the desert ground...was a unique kind of agony.

...Because Alex couldn't help him. Alex couldn't press his hands to those bleeding wounds, couldn't caress his hair or tell him he was going to be okay, or haul him up to the car to get him to safety.

He was caught between the facade of Captain Manes that might have bought him false, projected calm and that air of command he cultivated...and Alex, the man who would cut out his own heart if it meant Guerin lived.

Guerin was losing enough blood to be in serious danger, separate to the terror of all his other injuries and Alex couldn't help him.

He could just kneel on the dirt, babbling reassurances with his heart in his throat, blind to the Evans twins, deaf to the world around him, his entire focus on the too-pale face of the man he loves and the blood seeping into the sand.

You're going to be fine. Michael. Please. Stay with me.

==

The next steps are a blur, from Michael's limp body in the  desert, somehow getting him to safety and then the next solid scene is  AM in the cabin's kitchen on the outskirts of Roswell

The next steps are a blur, from Michael's limp body in the desert, somehow getting him to safety and then the next solid scene is AM in the cabin's kitchen on the outskirts of Roswell.

It's jarring and terror is still clawing its way into his chest. Alex looks around wildly for Guerin, taking in the rustic decor and deer skulls on the walls, panic setting in. Where was he?

Its a question echoed by Max, who frantically asks the same, "Where's Michael?"

In front of them, by inches really in the small space, is AM, wearing one of Michael's sweaters, a grey one that's disproportionately expanded in the wash, going wide at the sides, the neck has a hole on the right and there's a burn mark on the hem. It's nuts that Michael bought the same sweater twice and lived in it for just as long.

Max moves closer to AM and Alex can see why when he checks. He's leaning on the sink, breathing ragged and his face is full of anguish, undisguised and stark.

There is only one reason he would be devastated....

Thankfully before the world can crash and burn, AM pivots from the sink and nods as if he's made a decision. Limping slightly, he goes from the tiny space to the master bedroom and Alex stalls at the threshold with Isobel, Max bringing up the rear.