Chapter 10. Losing You

So this chapter contains the loss of the second Malex. Next chapter is how Alex finds his Michael and gets him home. I have a bonus chapter for Alt!Malex to make up for the pain losing them too. :)

So warning for tears ahead, character death and pain. This ends happy for Malex!!

===============================================

As Alex released his hold on the memories, he couldn't begin to answer how he felt. Being with Michael again, felt so right.

A sense of belonging so powerful, it was going to impossible to do anything but want Michael, all the denial and excuses worn away entirely. He didn't have a single finger-shaped bruises or the ache of really good sex and felt...bereft. But the images, the scenes of them living together....that both settled with a surety Alex hadn't known he needed that him and Guerin could make this work and ignited determination to fight for that.

For lazy mornings trading kisses and soft blankets in a bed that as theirs. Sharing their daily happenings over dinner, their feet tangled. Sharing the bathroom mirror, toothbrushes side-by-side, shaving kits and bottles of deep conditioner on the counter. Flannel shirts over the chair, worn jeans in the hamper, cowboy boots by the door, music blasting away. A home. A life together.

When he finds Guerin and has him back in his arms, he is never letting go.

Because oh God, the agony of losing him was worse than even Alex had imagined.

He was still standing back in the desert when Isobel and Max returned. He didn't admit to anything and remained superb at hiding his emotions when neither picked up on anything. There was nothing new, no discoveries but Max was calmer, looking for all the world like a grieving brother. Alex would fight him on it, but there was also hope.

"I have an idea." He claimed and Isobel, tired and upset herself, looked at him challenging.

"What kind of idea Alex?"

"We were asking the wrong question of the memories." He said calmly, "We should have been asking not how Guerin in this world was lost, that brought up ten yeas ago. We need to ask when it went wrong."

"Well its a version  of your head." Isobel said pressing a finger to her brow. This must be weighing her so badly.

This time the full scene is before them and Alex braces himself. 

The question of where this....situation began was difficult. Alex assumed that AM had spent a great deal of time trying to answer it, because they first saw snatches of memories, compiled like a log as if AM was trying to understand. And each snapshot put together was a worrying progression.

People have modes and moods. They have triggers, stress and bad days. In their case, accrued trauma.

Alex went from not really understanding Guerin's moods and mindset when he first returned to Roswell, to obsessively trying to learn what every micro-expression on that beautiful diamond-shaped face meant. Guerin was a master at subtext. At providing tiny hints about what he felt concealed in barbs, commentary, humor and random statements. At showing love and care in the things he was willing to do for people, in the support he provided unasked for.