Chapter 7. Threads

A little look into this Michael's past and Dallas.

===============================================

"I would never hurt Michael!" Max shouts, anguished and angry, the corridor at the hospital vanishing as Michael got up and slipped through the door, flashing one last sweet smile at A.M.

Presumably, A.M did not get the chance to see him do whatever it was he had planned and his escape. Alex personally just hoped the other him cleared the CCTV footage and enabled Michael to get back to wherever he was supposed to be. The automatic response was to protect Michael, protect their secret. 

But Max's reaction bounces off the walls of the mindscape and Alex stumbles with the turbulence. Isobel shushes him and chides loudly, "Keep calm. You'll hurt Alex."

Max's face contorts with grief as he looks at Alex in apology, "I'm sorry. It's just,"

"It's okay." Alex assures him, knowing exactly how it feels when Michael Guerin pulls away from you. Its a pain he wishes on no one.  "This is not our life. Not our relationships. Things here are different. You and Michael have been apart for ten years."

Max dries his eyes and nods, beyond words. Isobel hugs him tightly and smiles tremulously, "This is to find Michael. To bring our idiot brother home."

Max nods and meets his sister's gaze, "That's all that matters. He's our brother. All I want is him to be safe and happy."

"Me too." Isobel tells him, "But this Michael is up to so many things and he's trapped in a deal. They know he's not human Max. They're using him and he has no choice. I don't understand why we aren't doing more, aren't there for him, but he's alone."

"We're supposed to be together." Max says upset, "Three of us. Why aren't we there?"

"I don't know." Isobel admits. "But this Michael is a part of the reason our Michael is in trouble."

==

They didn't see how long Michael was in Greg's room for, or have the opportunity to see what Michael actually did

They didn't see how long Michael was in Greg's room for, or have the opportunity to see what Michael actually did. Something that Max and Isobel debated for several long minutes, when they were calmer.

Strangely, the twins admitted to Alex when they hadn't even voiced their suspicions to each other, that they had long believed that Michael had more telepathic gifts than he let on. Max explained that Michael was uncomfortable with telepathy and had struggled to come to terms with Isobel's abilities when they were younger.

Alex, who understood Michael's moral code was not surprised.

The paramedic had wanted A.M and Greg to remain Drifting and they theorized that breaking the mental connection would have had severe consequences. Michael, a telepathic alien couldn't technologically fix that problem in the chaos of the rescue flight, the falling apart helicopter and the Kaiju attack. But he could with his own mental abilities.