Momo x Female! Reader

You weren't so sure on the idea of heading through the sewers. Momo and you knew the dangers that lie beyond the safety of the slums. Momo, in the nicest way possible, is very cowardly. Yet right now, he seemed braver than what anyone could imagine. You hoped that the cat would make sure the others knew. Momo deserved that recognition. You had a little cowardice on the raft. Just the thought of zurks getting a hold of anyone here or the raft was nerve wracking. Even with the little cat having the Defluxor it was scary. At least we were all together. And soon we'd get Clementine and Zbaltazar too. " This place is creepy " you nodded to Momo's comment. It had echoed off the pipe you went through, and the cat had moved to sit on the very front of the raft. How brave. You had a little cowardice on the raft. Just the thought of zurks getting a hold of anyone here or the raft was nerve wracking. You and Momo had been together for a while. He allowed you to stay with him in his apartment and you were grateful. Over time you two had become close. Often you would help him and talk through the time you spent. The slums were the safest place you knew, and you had only heard about the other outsiders from him. He talked about them with such passion and joy. You were mostly curious on the dynamic between Clementine and him, considering how Momo was the complete opposite in bravery standards. You just hoped that these friends were as nice as they seemed to be in his eyes. Doc was the first you met thanks to the cat's recent expeditions. He definitely made Momo's words seem truthful. Maybe you were more excited than scared. You three had reached the bars and watched as the cat jumped onto the platform before anyone could say something. You definitely liked the little furball. The protagonist walked his way around as you watched, only just noticing the zurk eggs when it made it there. You turned back to Momo and ignored the sound of popping, knowing that the little cat would be okay. They proved themselves when they went through that zurk infested territory to restore the transceiver.
"Are you scared momo?"
*n-no im not"
You snorted. Sure he wasn't. You had turned back to the sound of the gate opening. Momo continued his paddling and you watched as the cat jumped from the platform back onto the raft as Momo made the turn. " Good job, fur ball " you offered your hand and the cat bumped into it with a 'mrep' allowing you to pet them. Super fluffy. You all had made it into an open part of the sewers not too long after. Looking up you could see a couple of zurks just sitting up there. It was unnerving. What were they waiting for? You didn't want to know actually. You looked around and noticed the next location, a locked gate in the vast empty room. It was sort of peaceful (ignoring the zurks). The water moved against the wood as Momo moved it through the water. The cat's paws move on the raft every now and then, creating a soft panting sound. It was all quiet compared to the slums. Though you would still prefer the business of it to this infested place. You wished there were streams in the Guardians area.
Momo parked the raft against the stone and the cat hopped off after him with you following shortly after. You were looking at the zurks above you. They seemed so docile from here. Just sitting like they were at peace. How you wished to crush them under your foot. It would be gross but so satisfying.
Zzp!
You jumped hearing the sound, and turned back to Momo. The controls had been fried and you sighed. At least he was okay. That was the whole reason you had come along, to make sure he made it through alright. He mattered to you, beyond anything else. Beyond the outside he's what mattered. You just wanted him to be safe, and seeing him make such an out of character choice was scary but you were proud too. Seeing him be brave like this.
" All this old machinery is broken now. I think we can only open it manually "
You sighed and looked at the gate. It'd be pretty heavy, could all of you make it through?
Before you questioned too much, Momo made his way up to the chain and started to pull it. The door luckily opened just enough for the cat to squeeze through, and seeing its opportunity it ran across the barrels floating towards the door as you went up to join Momo.
" Gnn..I can't go in with you but..I won't stop looking for a way "
You smiled at him, he made it seem like such a heroic move, and in some way it was.
" When you find Zbaltazar and Clementine, tell them I was brave ''
The cat gave a small meow and jumped through the gate.
Momo let go and it slammed shut, leaving just you and him to head back to the slums. It was sad to see the little cat go. And to know that Momo wouldn't see his friends now, with no option to go further. But maybe the cat could make it. Maybe it could tell them what he wished. You sure hope it will. He deserves that.
Turning to look at Momo you noticed his saddened expression. It was heartbreaking, but you put a hand on his shoulder and gave him silent encouragement to get back home. He took a moment but made his way over to the raft with you following not long after.
It all seemed both hopeful and bleak. You wanted to get him home now. The least you could do was offer some comfort and peace to him and his mind.
That thought quickly left as you remembered the dangers. Not only that, then he might miss Doc and try to come back here. It wasn't a good plan. Not when his life would be at risk.
" Hey, it'll be alright Mo " you gave him a small reassuring smile and he made a sound from his monitor you couldn't place. A mix most likely.
" Thank you. For being here " he looked back at you and slowed his paddling for a moment.
" It's what I'm here for, I'll always be here "
Momo's screen changed back to a neutral look and you turned back to the front of the raft to watch as you passed by the eggs. Not all of them were broken you realized. How strange. Then again it didn't look like the cat would need to destroy them all to get to where the lever hung on the wall. One thing set you off though was the sounds.
" Momo stop the raft for a second "
He did just that and you looked at the eggs. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary with them but the sound remained and you couldn't tell what exactly it was.
" What is it? "
You didn't answer right away as you tried to pinpoint the sound. It almost sounded like a zurks noise but..muffled? It wasn't coming from the eggs either which is what threw you off so much. It was unnerving.
" I don't know..let's just go "
It was probably a bad idea anyway. You watched the eggs as Momo pushed the raft forward and continued through the tunnel.
" Be careful up ahead, there's zurks there "
You pointed to them with a whisper to Momo. Instinctively he turned the raft so you were on the other wall to the pipe. This was safer but you weren't exactly far enough. Though could someone ever be far enough from a zurk?
Carefully Momo steered the raft as you and him both watched the pipe cautiously. Of course the zurks noticed you as they jumped up and down, making more frequent noises. They couldn't reach you from here though. At least that's what you said to yourself.
Not like it was very useful when a zurk had jumped from somewhere you were unsure of and landed on the raft between you and Momo. He made some surprised noise and you quickly kicked the parasite off before it could jump at either of you.
" Just keep paddling, it's fine " you said this but you hardly believed yourself. This was terrifying. It's only one, you said.
It was in fact not one. More started to jump from the pipe you noticed earlier. Despite being far the zurks were incredibly good at jumping and a few landed on the wood as the others thankfully slipped into the water upon the attempt.
Without too much thought you started to kick off what ones you could as Momo tried his best to avoid others as he paddled. Before much time you managed to get away from the pipe, but there were still zurks in other parts of the land. They were the ones who failed to jump, you noticed. They kept hopping and you made a displeased expression as you took this chance of breathing to stand up.
" What are you doing - ? " Momo asked you as you looked around.
" Looking for something " with that you noticed a pipe hanging from the wall. " There - okay Mo, keep the raft stationed for me "
Before he could question you jumped onto land, the side with less zurks. The few that were over took notice of you immediately and went to bite you. You managed to kick a few away but they quickly became overwhelming. You dodged one only to have another latch onto your leg and bite it. You took a leap and kicked off the zurk as you grabbed onto the pipe, it snapped under your weight as you landed in the water. it quickly went over your head and the smell you could imagine was going to last for a long time on you.
You surfaced and took a breath. Looking around as you tried to find the raft. You did, and noticed Momo was now using the paddle to whack some zurks off the raft before they got him. He was doing better then you were that's for sure. " Over here! "
Momo took notice of you and tried to get over but you knew it was futile with all the Zurks on him. Quickly you made your way to the land on the side of the sewers and shook was water you could off. It was disgusting but there was more pressing matters.
You ran, partly limping, to the raft and used the pipe to whack more zurks away, luckily they were starting to become more sparse as Momo returned to paddling the raft. Not long after your adrenaline weared off you sat down on the raft and watched as you and Momo left the zurks behind safely.
" Is your leg okay? " You looked down at it now that Momo mentioned it. You had virtually ignored the wound but it was very obvious you'd need to get it cleaned up. Those things can really bite through anything, huh?
" Mm, it's fine Momo " you sighed and looked at him. " It'll be fine anyway "
He looked down at the bite and his face had changed to a more saddened expression.
You didn't want him to worry - the worst case was that you would have to lose this leg. Actually that is cause for worry - but it would be okay if you got it fixed up.
" Hey, let's just get home okay? " You moved your leg so he couldn't see it and he moved his attention to you. " I don't know about you, but I think we need to relax after this " you tried to lighten up the situation and it seemed to work a bit as Momo began to move the raft again.
" You're right but we are gonna get that checked out "
" I'm just glad you're safe "

(Next up is Zbaltazar x Male! Reader special request )