Chapter 10

The shrill of my alarm clock nearly brought tears to my freshly opened eyes.

One hour. One single hour of sleep, and a full day ahead. I can't think of anything that could be more preternatural to the human body than the fact that i'm suddenly wide awake at the feeling of warmth still evident in my hand. When I'm alert enough to properly think, I realize that Eden and I are still holding hands.

I'm awake. So awake.

Another thing that's worth mentioning (over and over again) was that our intertwined hands were securely perched on his torso, removing any obstacle course in the space between us, allowing me to snuggle up even just an inch or two closer to him. Though we could only really lie on our backs, that was still the best one hour of sleep i've gotten in decades.

Eden doesn't wake up until my back up alarm goes off, and the first thing he does is takes his free hand to encase our entwined ones as if to make sure that they were still in the place that he left it.

My.

Heart.

Flutters.

Fuck.

I, once again, pretend as though I was just waking up, yawning my free arm above my head, and stretching my limbs. Reluctantly, I feel him let go of my hand, and my heart falters. We don't say anything for the rest of our morning routine- or as routine as routine can be. I silently offered him a spare toothbrush, in which he gratefully accepted, and we stood exhaustedly in front of the bathroom mirror, idly brushing our teeth together like an old married couple.

When we were en route to the kitchen, I hear my front door handle start to jiggle as though a key were being lodged inside- oh. Oh. "Vivi, please tell me you're alive." I hear the muffled voice of Atticus on the other side of my apartment door. He seems to be struggling with the key- as he usually does when he's desperately hungover. "Fuck- it's too big. The key, I mean- I..." he breaks off in a chuckle before slyly murmuring; "that's what she said. Or he. Yeah, I'm gay, so it would make sense if..."

Now, he's practically talking to the door. The key still jams as I hear him curse more profanities beneath his breath. This buys me some time.

Frozen next to me, Eden deepens the crease between his brows as he leans down towards me to whisper; "That better be your landlord."

For once in my life, Travon being at my door wouldn't be a bad thing. I've been on time for my rent since my biweekly actor's paycheck, so I know for a fact that it isn't Travon at my door.

Atticus and I walk to work together every morning, but I'd completely forgotten in the midst of being cuffed to my co-star at the butt crack of dusk. My eyes were bug-eyed wide by now, and I fearfully glance up at Eden. "Bed. Now."

The corners of his lips twitch. "Hasty, now are we?"

"Eden, this isn't a joke. Get into bed with me. Now."

"What happened to 'Hi, Eden,' 'Good morning, Eden.' I just woke up and now you want to invite me to bed?"

"It's not an invitation."

"Coercion, then?"

I tug him by the cuff, into my bedroom, removing the covers of my bed with my free hand. Eden doesn't fight it in the least bit. To no ones surprise, he looks rather amused.

The doorknob continues to shake, and I hear Atticus groan on the other side of the door. "Vivi! Can you open the door for me? The key hole isn't big enough."

Now I'm swearing under my breath. "I'm in the shower, Atty! Just keep...trying!" I'm sure he's already figured me out with that disfigured call of mine, guilt and embarrassment is so clearly evident in my voice.