18. Ants

Louis' POV-flashback

“I hate him”, I whisper into the cold water of the showers that’s dropping down on me.

I sink onto the floor. I want to disappear in the drain like those dumb, dumb ants that keep crawling into the outdoor showers. They deserve to die, they’re so stupid.

Stupid ants. I kill them all by stomping onto them.

They deserve it. They deserve to suffer. Stupid, stupid ants.

I sit there for a while. Watch the bruise on my wrist get darker every second. Dad usually grabs my hand even harder. It hurts a little.

My heart hurts a little more.

Stupid ants. I kill them all. They die. They drown. Maybe they want to die.

I don’t want to die. I want to disappear in the drain. Maybe it’ll bring me to New Zealand. I once saw a movie about new Zealand on the TV. It looked nice there.

The ants are all dead. I start crying. I’m a murderer.

I didn’t mean to be a murderer.

“Louis?”, Harry asks through the closed door.

I turn of the water and wrap a towel around my waist. It hugs me.

“Yes?”, I ask, opening the door.

I’m already ten. I shouldn’t be crying anymore. This is so embarrassing.

“Why are you crying?”, Harry asks, biting his nails.

“’m not”, I mumble.

“I killed the ants”, I burst out, “I’m a bad person. They all drowned.”

“Maybe they could swim”, Harry says, shrugging.

“We could bury them”, he then suggests and walks to the shower.

He picks up all the tiny, stupid, poor ants he can find and buries them in the sandy ground, one by one.

I’m such a bad person. I want to be like Harry.