A Storm

⚠️SMUT⚠️

  My blood ran cold, a small pool of sweat forming in my palms. I sharpened my stance as everyone rose to hear the verdict.

  I don't usually get this nervous, hell I'm usually the calmest person in the room. I always win my cases.

  It's because of that skill that I knew... even a blind fool wouldn't turn a blind eye to Joey Midsky.

  Marlo stood beside me, taking deep calming breathes. I was much better at hiding my nerves than him.

  As I looked to the jury, my eyes never leaving the small envelope being carried to the judge, I keep them steady and hard as I focus on one sole thing.

  We won, we won, we won. If I believe it hard enough, we won.

  It felt wrong wishing to keep a criminal bastard out of jail but at the same time this was my life. This is how I make a living and my perfect reputation cannot suffer a loss as big as Midsky's.

  A very important man.

  I watched carefully as the Judge opened the envelope and slipped a piece of paper out, carefully unfolding it.

  "We the jury, have found the defendant.... Guilty on all accounts, and sentence him to death plus 25 years in prison,"

  The judge kept talking but my ears started to ring and I couldn't hear a thing he was saying. I couldn't even bring myself to look at Midsky as the officers cuffed him and led him out of the court room.

  My blood felt like ice and every inch I moved felt like the the broken shards, stabbing me in a billion places at once.

  I opened and closed my fists repeatedly. It wasn't a good case, I knew that, but I really did do everything I could.

  I dug up everything I could.

  But even the most foolish prosecutor could have won that case. I could feel something stabbing into the back of my head.

  I turned, finally looking at Midsky. His face was twisted in a snarl, his eyes shooting deadly glares, piercing me.

  I failed.

1:30 pm- Day 8

  After the verdict, and an hour of calming Marlo down, I went home defeated. It was a feeling I had grown unaccustomed too; losing.

  It only effects my reputation, which I could easily rebuild with time, but that's not the point of it.

  There's this deep sinking feeling in my gut like something terrible has happened and I just can't shake it.

  Is this what it feels like to be a failure?

  When I entered the penthouse, Apple was sitting on the couch watching tv. Who's McSteamy? Her head snapped to me when I set my briefcase down on the kitchen counter.

  "Hey hun, how was court?" She asked, pausing the tv. Hun? Did she even realize she called me that?

  "We lost," I grumbled. I'm far too exhausted and mentally drained to put much effort into my actions.

  I sauntered over to the couch, not acknowledging the look of concern on Apples face.

  As I sat down on the couch, attempting to relieve my head ache, she sat up, she'd hands reaching for me.

  She sat right next to me, her arm looping over my shoulder.

  "Oh, Aric," she frowned as she pulled my head onto her lap. The odd thing was that I didn't even pull back. Her lap was soft, her thick thighs providing cushioning.