Part 12: Hero

As soon as we got back to he house we turned on the television to see live footage of the mall and after a moment someone speaking into a microphone presented on the screen asking a familiar man questions.

"Here we have an eyewitness report on what happened today in Bayside Mall. Is it true you saw this group of young adults fighting in the mall?" She asked him before holding the microphone to his side.

"Yes, I saw these kids walk in no older than maybe sixteen, seventeen. They came in with weapons I couldn't tell what it was, maybe sticks and there was a crowd forming around them but I saw one person holding a black box in his hands and he opened it up and I heard what sounded like a gunshot and I felt some weird vibrating in my body and when I looked up there was like this swirling portal thing opened up above where the guy was standing and these transparent shadowy entities came out from it they had to be anywhere from eight to ten feet tall, they were huge. Everyone immediately started flooding into a panic." He explained with angst.

"Thank you." The reporter said as she faced back to the screen and the talking trailed off as Bruce and I exchanged worried glances.

"Here we have another eyewitness report on what had happened earlier today." She explained before gesturing the microphone to a younger guy around our age.

"I mean I wasn't actually there so I don't really know what happened I just saw everyone running and screaming it all happened so fast."

"And is it true that this fight occurred because they came in armed with sticks?" She asked not showing much interest in his responses.

"I didn't see any of that but I definitely felt some sort of strange vibration in my head and all around me I was almost pushed over by it."
He replied with his body language suggesting he was finished with what his statement.

The scene cut off to show the outside of the mall swarming with what had to be fifty police cars flashing their lights all the way down the road.

About an hour later a news broadcast mentioning the mall was plastered across the screen.

"Earlier today the Bayside Mall was attacked by not only just people but supposedly large transparent shadowy figures as well, many claiming this to be proof of extraterrestrial sightings. Tonight we have received word from official government authorities that there is in fact nothing to worry about. A group of kids came into the mall and decided it would be fun to begin fighting and vandalizing the mall with sticks and the noise heard was fireworks outside. There is currently a no fly zone over the entire sanctioned area and the mall will be closed up until further notice. We have a team of professionals reviewing the situation and camera footage of that day to ease everyone's worries about the scandalous rumors going around."

We turned off the television to see Nikita delivering us a smirk.

"We'll look who's not blending in now?" Sue asked with a smile and a nodded side to side head shake.

"Look we were coming to come get you it was different."  Bruce said with stress in his demeanor. We all sat silent for a moment.

"So what now?" Nikita asked.

We all continued to sit in silence.

Nikita POV

We got to school, late again, ready to go into our classroom.

"Again? Do you three atleast have late passes this time?" Asked the teacher.

"We don't have any." Lysol responded.

"Well you're going to have to come back with one this time before you can join the class." She said sending us back out the door.

"Maybe we should just leave now." Lysol said as we walked off.

"Why do you want to leave so fast?" I asked.

"There's nothing left for us here. Mission failed, we can't help them."

I turned to face him. "There's us here. I like seeing you guys I like walking with you guys. I like going on adventures."

He faced me back. "None of this is real Nikita. It's no different than a television show other than that we can touch everything."

"I like touching." Replied Bruce as we walked.

"Look," Lysol started just as the bell rang to change classes. The halls instantly became crowded with everyone trying to pass through to their next destination. A girl bumped into us as we were continuing.

"Oh hey, it's you." She said colliding with a Lysol. "Oh sorry about that." She said looking down and placing her foot off of his. "I didn't mean to dirty your shoe." It was the girl from class that originally invited us to the party.

"Hi." He greeted back with little expression.

"While you guys are here I was gonna ask did you guys want to come to the beach this weekend? I'm going with a few people and you guys are welcome to join."

"I-" Lysol started before getting cut off by Bruce.

"We'd love to."

Lysol looked over at Bruce.

"Alright cool we'll be going there tomorrow afternoon."

"Sounds good." Bruce said with a smile before we walked off.

Bruce looked back over at Lysol who was still looking over at him.

"What you always make the decisions. Besides you know you wanna go, I saw you talking to her at the party."

                                          ...

When we arrived to the beach we realized we were overdressed. We learned there were clothes specifically to get wet in, that of which we did not own.

"Hey you guys made it." She said coming up to us with almost no clothes on. Being in your underwear in public seemed to be only appropriate if you were getting wet. We noticed guys and girls all over were dressed in a similar way.

"Yeah we didn't have anything else to wear though." Lysol said as he began instinctively taking his shirt off to appear as those around us did.

"Yeah that's perfect." She said to him flirtatiously. Bruce quickly followed his action and did the same. I looked over at him and began to do the same before she stopped me. "No, no no. That's ok Nikita haha." She said stopped my hand with hers. I was confused as to why I was not supposed to be in less clothes but other girls were in their bra and underwear. "That's just for the boys." She said as of aware of my lack of etiquette.

I looked around at the girls on the beach. "But i am wearing that underneath." I said pointing to the girls closer to the water.

"Well, yes, but it's like different. You can't go in your bra and underwear haha it has to be a bikini." She giggled.

"Bikini." Bruce said pointing to his shorts.

The girl laughed and walk off to the water. "Come on." She gestured for us to follow.

The male counterparts greeted Bruce and Lysol when they got closer to the water.

It felt cold. Like every part it touched made my body tingle. I stepped closer into the water and the further in I went I began to float. This was an experience I almost missed, that we almost missed.