Chapter 8: "I hate Physics"

ADA

"ZAZA, CAM, WE have a HUGE problem."

"What else is new?"

"Unless it's life or death, can I call you back later? Kinda in the middle of–"

"He found me," I cut Zaza off, a thick veil of silence landing over us like a blanket used during winter.

"Oh shit," Cam whispered.

"Oh shit indeed," I agreed, flopping on the bed. I winced when I heard it creak and squeal. "What do we do?"

"Okay, um, maybe he doesn't know where you are?" Zaza's voice was high-pitched and cracked at the edges.

"I got a message on my computer."

"Right, well, now, that's- uh. I think you should lay low for a bit. And probably destroy your computer."

"She can't. She's on a- shut up!- mission. Sorry, give me one second." I heard a small thud as Cam put the phone down. Her voice got quieter as she walked away. "Dude, what do you want?"

"We have to leave now!"

"Can't you see I'm currently in the middle of something right now?"

"We are being surrounded by people with guns! And I think one guy has a tree branch!"

"Well you're the one who blew up that warehouse!"

"What do you think is happening?" I whispered.

"Shh I wanna listen," Zaza said.

"That was you!"

"Well why didn't you stop me?"

"Nothing can stop you!"

"He has a point," Zaza murmured and I hummed in agreement.

Much to my disappointment, Cam muted the call and we were unable to eavesdrop.

"No, don't deprive us of our tea," Zaza whined.

I snorted in reply. "Is that all you care about?"

"Duh. It is what my business is based on."

"Oh right! How's that going?"

"Not too bad, if I'm honest."

"Good to hear. Got any clients right now?"

"Just a family who wants dirt on another family for some petty revenge."

"Sounds fun."

"Oh it is... the family doesn't know I'm also selling their secrets to the other family."

I laughed. "Money comes first, right?"

"Always."

"Hey guys, I'm back!" Cam's voice was hard and tinged with irritation. I assumed that whoever she was talking to was either dead or severely injured.

"Right. So, Addy. I can get as much information as possible. I'll have my best people working on the case," Zaza assured me. "That bastard won't touch us ever again, let alone reach out with other methods."

"And I'll threaten- uh, I mean ask- some people to spread rumours that we've fled somewhere abroad even farther away from him," Cam said with determination.

"Thanks guys." I rubbed my eyes tiredly, a yawn pushing past my lips before I could stop it. "Once I've woken up...I'll...edit some...footage to show that...we're boarding something..." I barely heard my own words as my eyes slowly closed shut from the overlapping exhaustion.