Chapter 26: "Remember"

ADA

THE WORLD WAS dark when I next awoke.

Splotches of colour, like a waxed rainbow being melted, spread across my vision and I struggled to remember where I was. Or even who I was.

Flashes of memory zipped past my brain and I had a vague image of me in the car with Carter... There was something I had to tell him... but then I blacked out.

What was it? I thought, furiously wracking my brain. I looked around at the simple yet unrecognisable room. The heart monitor in the corner spiked and the oxygen mask became more foggy.

I took a deep breath and forced myself to think rationally. I compartmentalised my thoughts, dealing with the most urgent ones first. I remember telling Carter to call Silvertongue, but whether or not he actually listened to me is another matter entirely.

Again, the feeling that I was forgetting something very important washed over me. I glanced to the side and saw a crumpled heap of papers; the ones I took from the building-

Oh.

Oh shit.

I remember now.

I remember everything.

The heart monitor went crazy as I tried to sit up without messing with any of the tubes keeping me alive. I needed to find Jay. I had to tell him- tell him what happened.

My mind worked hard and I pieced together the puzzle, forming a picture I didn't want to see. Some parts were missing, but if I'm right, then everything has changed.

The door creaked open and my heart stuttered to a stop.

"Oh you're awake!" A wonderfully familiar voice cried out and I was tackled. I inhaled deeply as the soothing smell of vanilla filled my nostrils.

I hugged Zaza back fiercely, tears pricking the corners of my eyes. "I've missed you so much."

Zaza's shoulders shook as she took in a shuddering breath, drawing back far enough to examine my face. She frowned and her lips pursed together in disapproval. "Have you not been eating much? You look so thin!"

I laughed, then immediately regretted it as pain flared up my sides. "Yeah, yeah, but you'll have plenty of opportunities to fatten me up later on."

"You can count on it. By the time you leave, you must be more than just a bag of bones!"

I smiled and nodded. Even when we were in that place, Zaza was constantly worried about mine and Cam's eating habits. She would forgo her portion of the meal, risk her life stealing scraps from the pantry and even threatened one of the customers over a slice of bread.

"How can we escape if you're not strong, hmm?" She would say even as her own legs struggled to hold up her weight.

Zaza called for one of the doctors and hovered over me while he did the routine check-up, her eyes focused intently on the answers to any questions. Whenever I lied to a question, she would sharply reprimand and catch me out.

Finally, the interrogation was over and several tubes were removed. Ironically, after the oxygen mask was removed, I felt like I could breathe again. I looked at Zaza. "Where's Jay?"

"Asleep in the cafeteria. I can go get–"

"No, no, that's fine." I tiredly waved a hand and shook my head, "Let him sleep. The mission has been hard on both of us... And I want to talk to you for a minute."

Zaza nodded and glanced at the doctor. "Leave us."

He seemed relieved to do so.

"What's going on?" The bed sank slightly as Zaza carefully sat beside me, green eyes wide with worry. "Is it- is it to do with Keres?"