Chapter 17: "Kill order"

ADA:

SOMEHOW, WE MANAGED to blend in with the crowd at Customs. Minutes later, several Agents stormed the airport, declaring the area to be a 'code blue'- whatever the hell that meant. I bet these guys were newbies, still suffering from the cheap thrill of being inducted.

I tugged down my floral sunhat, averting my gaze from the Agents. My heart thudded painfully as my chest rose and fell with each laboured breath. I gripped the handle of my bag and wheeled it beside me, resisting the guilty temptation to run.

Carter adjusted his scarf and leaned down to whisper. "Did you purposefully choose the most itchy piece of material for me?"

"I did not have time to browse, Carter. And I'm sure it can't be that bad."

"No, it's a lot worse. Pretty sure there's some sort of lice in here."

"Well shut up and look natural," I hissed, donning on a perfect smile as we were called to the counter.

As we did the usual checks, the man seemed to pause a bit, glancing between us and the computer. I held my breath, praying that I was thorough enough to avoid too much scrutiny.

Just when I thought we were caught, the man waved us through, welcoming us to England. My heart slowed to its normal pace and I allowed myself a tiny victory smile. Ez, you bastard, if you're still alive I'm gonna kill you.

"Can you believe we pulled that off?" Carter grinned, eyes flooding with relief as his shoulders relaxed. He tried to sling an arm around my shoulder, but I dodged the contact.

We might have been all chummy on the plane, but I still haven't forgiven him yet.

"I know right! Let's hope that–"

"Stop right there!" A powerful voice thundered and everyone stumbled and turned.

I inhaled sharply, every nerve in my body set on fire and I gripped Carter's hand tightly, ignoring his squeak of surprise. We speed-walked, quickening to a jog upon hearing others being searched behind us. Sadly, the two of us were very well-known throughout the Agency. If we were caught, we would be dragged back and face trial.

"Chief Haddel!" A wonderfully familiar voice boomed. "Have you quite lost your mind?"

I laughed, a quiet sound. "Aliana is here. She'll make sure everything is okay." I risked a quick look over my shoulder, a wide beam breaking the seams of my face at my mentor.

She absolutely ripped his dignity and scrap of pride apart, going on about how much of a violation of the code it was to drag innocent civilians into Agency business. She pointed at the newbies and pointed out the flaws in their entrance, reducing them to remorseful school-children scuffing their polished shoes against the flood. I took a mental picture of Haddel's expression, which was akin to a petulant school-boy, determined to forever store it into the archives of my brain.

A text pinged on my phone and I glanced at the screen.

There's a car waiting for you outside. Try not to die. - Z

A warm feeling blossomed in my heart and I nearly sprinted to the exit, my hand still gripping Carter's tightly. But how do I know which car will be–

I stumbled to a stop, the warmth in my chest doused out by the cold fires of grief. A man standing by a black Volvo was holding a sign that said 'IZZY CRUZ'.

"That's our car," I whispered, a headache forming as buried memories swept me away.

"But neither of our fake names are Izzy Cruz?" Carter said, puzzled. "Unless it's some sort of benefactor?"