Chapter 31: "Poetic"

ADA

HONESTLY? I WAS getting tired of people abducting and trying to kill me.

First, I was taken from my biological family when I was three and sold into a human trafficking ring.

Then, my ex best friend tried to murder me in an alleyway.

Next up was an unknown assassin who tried to stab me in my sleep.

I was then taken by my old abuser and whacked over the head by a very unpleasant guard.

I was poisoned by I-don't-even-know-who.

Now, I have been kidnapped by one of the most fearsome death squads this world has ever known. Back to the ex best friend who tried to kill me.

It was poetic, in a weird and very twisted way.

I woke up in the Agency storeroom, tied to a chair with a bag over my head. My hands were bound uncomfortably tight with handcuffs behind my back.

How cliched,' I thought with a scoff. Clearly, these people got their kidnapping ideas from the movies. Such amateurs.

"Is she awake?" A hushed voice asked.

"Nah...if she was, then she'd be screaming like hell, right?" A man, with a ridiculously posh accent that contrasted the colloquialism, responded.

I took a deep breath and made my voice as small and shy as possible. "Hello? Is someone there?"

The bag was removed and I blinked as a harsh white light shone on my face. I squinted and could make out vaguely human shadows at the edge of the brightness.

"Hey bestie!"

"Oh dear God please not you." I groaned, turning my head away.

Keen laughed and stepped in front of the light. I was stunned when I took in her appearance. The usually carefully curled brown hair now tumbled around her face like a frizzy, dry broom. Her pupils were blown wide and tinged with red, angry veins. She was slightly slouched over, as if being a traitor was taking a toll on her body.

"Look at me!" Keen grabbed my chin and forced my head towards her. Her breath reeked of alcohol. "Look at me when I'm talking to you!"

Feeling petty, I closed my eyes. "No."

I heard a gush of air and felt a fist slamming into my face a second later. My chair tipped back, but Keen pulled it back forwards. She swung again. And again. And again. Keen kept screaming about how everything was my fault- probably a delusional fantasy she cooked up.

I had long since learned how to hide my emotions- possibly the only useful thing I learned from my fucked up childhood. But tears gathered in the back of my eyes as I looked at the woman I once considered my friend. Involuntarily, images of our late-night talks and outings flashed before my mind.

"You were my friend, Keen." I spat out a clump of blood and coughed, feeling it drip down my chin. I raised my head to stare into her eyes, my voice full of pity. "What happened to you?"

Keen flinched and stepped back as though I'd physically struck her. She brushed a loose curl away and rubbed the back of her neck. "I- I- you wouldn't understand. Anyways, Ada, there's someone I'd like you to meet."

The door opened and the bright light was switched off to be replaced by a slightly dimmer one. For a second, my world was a blur of muted colours against an inky background. I blinked rapidly and tried refocusing my vision. Slowly, the shapes congealed into a person.

My heart stopped and fear turned my blood into an icy sludge in my veins. Judging by Keen's insane laugh, I did not do a good job at hiding my emotions.

"Hello, Ada. It's good to see you again." Special Agent Ezra Grey smiled coldly at me. 

**********

I hope you guys liked it! 

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)