♡ Chapter 32 ♡

~ Reese POV ~

Within a millisecond I had her in my arms. I didn't think about myself for a single second, only her.

My eyes winced and my ear drums felt like they burst as the car exploded. Dangerous and angry flames roared to life, only getting fuel more and more by the night air. All of the windows shatter, the glass hitting the concrete below my feet.

I don't know what's happening. All I know is that there's danger, and I need to protect Azalea. Not want; need.

I run a few steps away from the burning car, sheilding Azalea with my body. I crouch over her, wrapping my arms around her as I made her sit against the ground.

Another explosion comes from the car. Sharp items go flying and I feel one land into my lats. But the pain doesn't bother me, knowing that I protected Azalea from it is enough for me. I pull it out without turning around and keep using myself to shield her.

"There he is!" a voice yells. It's muffled over my car alarm blaring, the sound of flames, and my ears ringing. My vision dances as I look around, wincing as the strong heat radiated onto my skin.

The world that I look at sways. My brain processes things in chunks.

"I told you it was his car!" the same, distance sounding voice yells. I take harsh blinks as the white noise I hear starts to settle. "Shoot - now's our chance!"

Those words were able to pull me back into reality quickly. Being in this world for almost your entire life teaches you to be selfish. To always look out for yourself. To always listen, so nobody has the higher up on you.

I grab Azalea and basically lift her as I start running. I hear a few shots fire before I'm able to get us behind a parked car. I keep shielding her with my body, even after we're behind the car. The bullets shatter the windows and bust the headlights, but aren't able to hit us.

"Do you have your gun?" she asks me. I see on her face that the situation has snapped her into sobriety. 

I nod. She looks relieved until I'm able to tell her, "But I only have 5 bullets."

The number of bullets flying tells me that there are at least 10 people. Her face falls.

"Today's the day, Ricci!" A voice yells from across the road.

But it's not just any voice. It's the voice of a man that is covered in blood and whose heart beats out of spite. The man that would hurt his own daughter. The man that will die for daring to hurt my girl.

As if it were a reflex, hearing his voice made me reach for my gun. I didn't even have to think about it.

I stand to shoot him, aiming in the direction which his voice came from. 

But I let my anger cloud my judgment.

Bullets fly the second I stand, but with how well trained I am, I was able to duck back down before any hit me. The metal car gets ruined by the shots as I keep covering Azalea again. She's strong, she's smart, she doesn't need me to protect her. But I fucking will. I'll protect her with my life.

Never let your anger cloud your judgement. That was something I had learned early on, yet sometimes, I slipped up. When something concerns Azalea, I can't help it.

Joesph should see my eyes as I drive a knife through his chest. I should get to smile while hearing him scream, while I drag the knife down and make his organs fall out. He should fucking pay for hurting Azalea. That's what I'm most angry about. This isn't about our war, I don't give a damn. But nobody gets to fucking hurt her.